myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 370 / 375
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transom to Hull Bond

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transom to Hull Bond
    Posted: 03 May 2018 at 21:56
I'm looking at the semi circle where the transom joins the hull.  I see what appears to be caulk in that joint that has dried and cracked. Anyone else have that experience? Is it caulk?  What if any repairs have you done or recommend? My fiberglass guy wants to dig it (whatever it is) all out and refiberglass that joint.  Your thoughts?  Thanks.
Silversailor
South Haven, MI USA
S/V Legacy
2010 Andrews 28
Sea-U View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sea-U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 07:08
Not shure were you mean. The hull is epoxy.
Pictures?
Sea-U is a 370e #532 located SW Norway
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 08:18
Do you mean the white seal between the hull and the deck? 
In this case welcome to the club!

The reason for this is that Hanse used in 2013 some cheapo copy of the trusted Sikaflex. This material never cured, stayed tacky, got dirty and ultimately developed cracks.
The good news is that it is purely cosmetic, this joint does not have a structural function.
Hanse ( or their dealers ) replaced the bad product under warranty by new SIKA, among them our boat.
There are numerous posts about this topic, the latest one is:
http://www.myhanse.com/search_results_posts.asp?SearchID=20180504081205&KW=deck+hull+joint

Just scrape the old bond out with a knife and replace it with a quality product, no need to do an expensive glass over job IMHO.
Frank
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 17:48
I believe it is just caulking and it is drying up and falling out just like the toe-rail to hull gap. So no fiberglassing should be needed, just new UV resistant caulking

Steve
Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
silversailor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 01:37
Thanks all.  I'll go to work with my putty knife tomorrow.
Silversailor
South Haven, MI USA
S/V Legacy
2010 Andrews 28
 Post Reply Post Reply