myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 461 / 470
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RMC Bow Thurtser

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RMC Bow Thurtser
    Posted: 04 May 2018 at 19:56
Hello,

The RMC retractable bow thurster on my Hanse 470 stopped working. Not sure if it's the control board or the piston but RMC seems to be out of business. 

Does anyone have experience with this? 

Thanks,
Chris
lucca View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 12:43
Lewmar bought rmc. first they sold the original rmc Truster und lewmar label.
RMC has previously bought the engine and transmission from Lewmar.
Lewmar has developed new 185 series now. But they still sell old spare parts.
Borjebus View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borjebus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 17:07
I guess the little fuse has blown and the thruster is "out of sync" - it is not in the position it believes it is.
The problem is that there are no limit switches that tell the control box weather it is OPEN or CLOSED. If the initial position is known and it starts moving, it will stop when the current goes over a certain limit. Then the control box knows it is in the other end.
I suppose the little fuse close to the control box is blown.

Shut off the power and loosen the outer end of the piston. Replace the fuse and after power on, run to known position.
Shut off the power and re-connect the piston.
Now the system should be in sync again.

I did this two times and then Lewmar replaced the control box with a one with higher current limit. After that, no more problems.
BÄSK, Hanse 370e #82 from 2006, Yanmar 3JH4E/SD50, 3-blade Flexofold, RMC(Lewmar) 185 Bowthruster, Vulcan 9, Simrad+B&G instruments
chrisn View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 18:13
The part that failed is the control board and Lewmar was not able to (or didn't want to) help me. They say they are coming out with a new 185 swing thruster but won't give a timeline. 

I'm researching building my own control box using a programmable logic controller. 
https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Overview/Catalog/Programmable_Controllers/DirectLogic_Series_PLCs_(Micro_to_Small,_Brick_-a-_Modular)/DirectLogic_205_(Micro_Modular_PLC)

Borjebus View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borjebus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 07:50
Sorry to hear about Lewmar's support but it's an interesting solution you are thinking of. If you go for that solution consider to include limit switches in both ends to avoid the present "current limit switch".
Keep us posted!
BÄSK, Hanse 370e #82 from 2006, Yanmar 3JH4E/SD50, 3-blade Flexofold, RMC(Lewmar) 185 Bowthruster, Vulcan 9, Simrad+B&G instruments
chrisn View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 23:09
I purchased the components and I'm moving forward. 

Can you elaborate on "current limit switch"? I'm sure there I'll run into some unknowns so I'll take all the help I can get. 

Chris
Borjebus View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borjebus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 07:42
There are no physical limit switches on the actuator, instead the movement stops when the current goes over a certain limit. Without physical limit switches you cannot be 100% sure if the thruster is in or out. If you have a jam, or if you shut everything off in the middle of a movement, it is very easy to get out of sync - the thuster is out but you can't run it because it believes it is in.
With at least one physical limit switch it is easy to define "thruster in" as  home position.
chrisn View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 14:03
My thruster uses an Okin OmegaDrive actuator which is designed for lift chairs and recliners and is the same unit for the Lazy Boy recliner in my living room. Similar to this:
http://medicalcentersupply.com/products/6204-omegadrive-motor/

A while back I disassembled it and discovered it does have two limit switches on either end of the screw piston that stop the arm when it's fully extended and fully retracted. Based on experimentation, I discovered you can apply power to the unit and it will extend and if you reverse polarity, it will retract. I don't believe voltage is a factor for this particular unit.

The PLC should be arriving today and I'll start programming right away. I plan to post the details on the forum in case anyone else runs into the same issue.  
chrisn View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2018 at 19:29
Someone on the forum connected me with RMC in Sweden. Apparently, they sell only wholesale but they were nice enough to express mail me a new control box for a fee. 
Wild View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2018 at 16:23
hello Chrisn
can you give me the info to contact the people of RMC please? in the past I have a contact with Mister Albert Ström but I lost his emailadress.
I needed a controlbox too for my truster.
You can send me this info by mail :deswe@telenet.be
thanks

Edited by Wild - 25 October 2018 at 16:24
Wild and Wet
Belgium
545e#268
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>