myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 505/508
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rudder Post Ground Wire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipwrite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rudder Post Ground Wire
    Posted: 09 June 2018 at 16:30
While removing my broken Jeffa autopilot see http://www.myhanse.com/jeffa-autopilot-failure_topic10801.html I noted a green ground wire attached the top of my aluminum rudder post, just under the quadrant. Jeffa reports that their rudders should not be tied into the 505’s grounding system. It appears my rudder is tied in.

My 505 was delivered in May 2016 and I was quite surprised to see this given all the prior information on this.

I’m trying to confirm this with the factory but I suspect it may be another build error.

Will update once confirmed.

Kipwrite
fulanito View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fulanito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2018 at 09:26
Hey Kipwrite
Any news from tbe factory on the ground wire.
Cheers
Peter-Blake View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter-Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2018 at 09:41
If the ground wire is connected to the electrical system of the boat, than i would remove this connection.

If this wire is going to a Anode only for the rudder post, than it is ok in my opinionand it can stay as it is. It is important that the rudder post has no other ellectrical connection ....

Edited by Peter-Blake - 24 October 2018 at 09:42
Blake 370
415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2018 at 10:49
Hi there should be posts on this from about 2014 when I raised the same issue. As the boat was still under warranty I was reluctant to remove this without Hanse formally agreeing that it was the right thing to do.
They did and we removed the wire
All the best
Paul
Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
kipwrite View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipwrite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2018 at 10:59
My dealer - McMichael in Stamford CT - checked with the factory and confirmed this ground wire
was installed correctly and should remain in place.
I’d check with the factory on your boat.
Kipwrite
415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2018 at 11:07
Hi, maybe there is difference between the wiring on a 415 and a 505, but as I said Hanse (factory) said remove it
All the best
Paul
Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2018 at 17:52
I would ask the question to Jeffa NOT to Hanse. Jeffa has their act together a heck of a lot better than Hanse does. Electrolysis can only happen if there is the ability to have current to flow which is exactly what the wire provides and it should be removed.
Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
alidal View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alidal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2018 at 18:58
Here is what Jefa wrote to me:
"Regarding grounding of your rudder stock we strongly recommend that you remove it. It only increases the risk of corrosion"
Hanse 400#655
StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2018 at 21:01
I agree with Peter-Blake, if the rudder is connected to hull anode only and not the rest of the boats wiring system then this is the best solution. 

Don't assume that an isolated rudder will remain isolated forever (dirty bridges, autopilot shorts, worn autopilot bushes etc etc).

I posted an article some time back about removing the factory connection between 12v negative buzz and shore-power earth buzz thats worth reading.
Stephen
2010 H400 #691, Auckland, New Zealand
kipwrite View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipwrite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2018 at 23:40
As I recall, my dealer confirmed that the rudder post has its own anode, separate from the rest of the system, as delivered by the factory. I’m not sure when Hanse started doing this. My boat was delivered from the factory in early 2016.

Rubato, will check this set up with Jeffa, as you suggest, and report back their response.

Edited by kipwrite - 24 October 2018 at 23:54
Kipwrite
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>