myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 370 / 375
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spinlock clutch bank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike pearce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spinlock clutch bank
    Posted: 21 June 2018 at 10:10
Hi
A couple of the cams on our clutch bank are worn as a result of which the grip is failing especially on the main halyard and jib sheet.
Has anybody experience of replacing the cams ?
Reading some of the forum comments on the Spinlock site it sounds like a relatively straightforward job although the bank has to be removed from the deck to access the cam housings. Is this possible on the 370 ? I assume the bank is bolted through the deck with seemingly no access underneath without cutting the ceiling panel .
Any comments / advice would be appreciated before embarking on the project.
Thanks

Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 10:52
Mike, 

You will find the bank of clutches are screwed ( machine screws) into an aluminium plate which is in the layup of the fiberglass under the clutches. Just unscrew the clutches and they will come off. They are probably sealed down using Sika but once you remove all the fixing screws the bank will come off. Not sure which model Spinlock clutches you have but I have replaced the jaws of one of our bank of 4 STX sheet clutches with a 6-10 mm size instead of the original 8-14mm. I had to order the 6-10 mm size jaws but they were fairing easy to replace. The other option I have used on our halyards is to make the halyard thicker (plumping"where the clutch clamps on the halyard. To do this I used 1.5mm dyneema cord and using a D Splicer pulled the cord through the middle of the halyard core for about 250mm either side of where the clutch clamps on the halyard. Surprisingly it took 4 pieces of cord to plump out the halyard enough to stop the clutch slipping. The main sail Spinlock XX clutch no longer slips. Spinlock do not make 6-10mm size jaws for the XX range so "plumping" was one of the only options.  
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 12:05
Hi we did the same as Wayne and replaced the bigger cams on both halyards with 6-10mm ones, relatively easy job apart from the fact each clutch has two bolts so lots of bolts to take out the whole bank.
Not had any slippage problems since then
All the best
Paul
Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
Ilkhanse View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ilkhanse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 12:57
On our boat, I was able to replace the cam by taking removing the side screws and drifting the rod that the cam pivots on out of the body of the clutch bank. You do not have to remove the whole bank to replace the cams. I went with a ceramic cam and a new halyard, and it seems to be holding just fine. I did try to unscrew the base because I want to replace the lower, but I couldn’t get the screws to budge. I’ll have to try an impact wrench when I get a chance.
mike pearce View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike pearce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 13:59
Thanks for the replies and advice. Sounds as though the job is relatively straightforward. I have two banks of five XTS clutches.
I’’m gradually upgrading the halyards, outhail and sheets to dynena and dropping down a size from the polyester stuff fitted when new.
The cams are currently 0814. Sounds as though I need to replace these wth smaller units
Thanks again
Mike
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 16:41
As llkhanse mentioned, you do not have to pull the clutches off the deck to service/replace the cams. In fact, from what I recall, you pretty much have to pull the cams out to get at the screws holding the base down. 

As a rule of thumb, I use the 0610 up to 10mm diameter. I try not to use 11mm line. I use the 0814 for 12 and 14 mm dia line. That along with regularly cleaning the rope fuzz out of the clutches seem to take care of things for the most part.
Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
richz View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2018 at 22:37
Hi All,
I’m pretty much interested in picking up this old thread again as I would like to replace the main halyard cam.
I tried the screws but they seem to be stuck.
Can you tell me how to take the cam out without removing the entire block of clutches?

Thks!

Richz

415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2018 at 23:43
Hi, in theory you should be able to do this, but reality is different! The bolts are bedded in Sika so will seem stuck at first. I used a socket set with a ratchet handle and once they started to move them came out easily and there are no lost bits to worry about as they bolt down to aluminium plates bedded in the fibreglass.
All the best
Paul
Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2018 at 09:59
I have also removed both banks of clutches to replace the cams for the 10mm halyards (main, jib & spinnaker).
Just make sure you have the correct size (large) phillips screwdriver bit - from memory it is #3.  If you have a screwdriver that you can turn using a spanner that might also help get you started.

Once the screws are loose the job is straightforward and I think it is worth dismantling the bank anyway as this allows you to swap over any other cams that are worn with the ones you are replacing.  I found the cams for the 12mm main sheet were somewhat worn.

I didn't replace the base plates or use the ceramic cams and have had no issues with the 10mm dyneema holding.  May main halyard requires lots of tension and I get a much tighter luff now.
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
AndyS View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2018 at 12:13
I was also having some trouble with the halyard slipping on my 385, and decided to try the Spinlock RP25 coating - and it worked well! Just identify the segment of the halyard that will be in the clutch, and paint it on. Allow to dry for 24 hours. Now when I engage the clutch there is no slippage. At least for now this has saved me having to change out the cams. 
Andy
Moonraker
River Dunes, NC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>