myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 320
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Folding prop on 320?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 19:16
Should try it again, but can remember that at full throttle made a 7.2 knots.
And at 2800 rpm reach easily 6.3 knots, more or less comparable with the fixed prop.
Only noted that with fixed prop max. motor rpm was 3600 and with the folding one 3800, which is slightly overspeeding for the 3YM20.
Who is the dealer you are referring to?
Don't follow his arguments. Look around, you will  hardly find 32 ft boats with 3-blade folding props under it.
Mine was calculated, recommended and offered by Flexofold factory, which should have quite some commercial interest in offering the much more expensive 3-blade one, but didn't.
Merinalle View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merinalle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 04:35
We have the 3-plade Flexofold, and the speed/RPM -numbers are quite similar Andre mentioned.
320#166
aquilo View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 09:06
I've not noticed any decrease in max speed, but I seldom run the engine at max rpm, don't think that's healthy for it. What I noticed is that I got improved speed performance at lower rpm compared to the fixed. I think the top speed is appr. the same.

Edited by aquilo - 13 July 2018 at 09:09
Hanse 320
Norway
Brufan View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brufan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 13:07
On my H355, same speed with original vs FoF 2 blades prop except that now engine runs 3-400 rpm lower at same speed.
Reverse gear is as efficient as with orignal fixed prop.  Just anticipate 1 or 2 second when reversing.

Bruno

hanse 355 - 57

S/Y Spicy Ginger

White hull, 2 cabins, Volvo D1-30, Selden rig, removable mainsheet track system, Simrad (now B&G)-Jefa autopilot.
Andre View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 20:36
Checked today. 
No wind, flat water, no tide/current, so water speed = ground speed.
At 2800 rpm, 6.3 knots, at 3600 rpm, 7.3 knots.
mystudio View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mystudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2018 at 08:40
Will check it today on my boat with the Original fixed prop, but I think it's more or less the same. So, I don't see any reason to go for the 3-blade anymore and assume the shipard is wrong on this one. Thx all for the input! 
#004|Jefa DD1|ACU200|EV1|P70|Raymarine E7|Axiom Pro9s|B&G displays|Emtrak transponder|Lewmar traveller|Dyneema|Flexofold|Carbon pole|ball bearing genoacars|Membrame sails|Spi and asym spi|N2K->Wifi
mystudio View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mystudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2018 at 19:13
Ordered and received my prop, curious! Very heavy, by the way. 

Checked my boatspeeds on flat water with the old propellor, here is my 'old' tab:

2000 5,4
2400 6,2
2800 6,7
3000 6,9
3200 7,0
3400 7,2

More or less the same as the experiences here. Will do the same test with the new propellor. 

#004|Jefa DD1|ACU200|EV1|P70|Raymarine E7|Axiom Pro9s|B&G displays|Emtrak transponder|Lewmar traveller|Dyneema|Flexofold|Carbon pole|ball bearing genoacars|Membrame sails|Spi and asym spi|N2K->Wifi
mystudio View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mystudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2018 at 19:59
One consideration. Andre, don't you think the prop is quite heavy? Did not weight it yet, but, it's heavy! Asking myself if this is okay for the bearings in the saildrive….will ask Flexofold too for there experiences. 
Brufan View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brufan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2018 at 10:00
Unitl now : no problem with SD bearings (approx 550 running hours with it).
Yes FoF is heavy.  But other folding or feathring propelers are also heavy.
Bruno

hanse 355 - 57

S/Y Spicy Ginger

White hull, 2 cabins, Volvo D1-30, Selden rig, removable mainsheet track system, Simrad (now B&G)-Jefa autopilot.
Andre View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2018 at 21:24
Prop is heavy indeed, I was also impressed by its weight, but it will be a bit lighter under water (Archimedes). Expect the thrust force of the prop will be considerably higher than the radial force by its weight, bearings should easily withstand the weight of the prop. As Bruno also notes about all folding props are in alu-bronze, weights will not be much different between brands and a 3-blade version will even be heavier. Only folding prop that will be considerably lighter I believe will be the same Flexofold with the composite hub construction, which is about Euro 100 more expensive.
Wouldn't worry about the  prop weight, enjoy the better sailing performance instead!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>