myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 385/388
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

385 holding tank upgrade?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P&H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 385 holding tank upgrade?
    Posted: 04 August 2018 at 05:47
Hi all

Anyone have any experience or ideas on how to increase the holding tank capacity? We love our 385 but holding tank size a challenge without “rationing” and we are planning some longer cruises next year. 

BTW fitted the Gobius tank sensor which works really well. 

Thanks
Phil

Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2018 at 07:53
Hello Phil,

I fitted on my 345 an additional 50 litr stainless steel holding tank behind the wall in the shower compartment. This one is connected to the ridiculous small Hanse reservoir of 25 - 30 ltr capacity. On the added tank I am using a Philippi ultrasonic sensor.

Edited by Fendant - 04 August 2018 at 07:54
Frank
alidal View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alidal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2018 at 08:29
Hanse 400#655
P&H View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P&H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2018 at 16:07
thanks - that is the kind of approach I was thinking of if only I can find a space big enough. 

Did you connect the new tank upstream of the old tank and higher than the original so you still have a single seacock to release the contents with the aid of gravity? Also do you still have a single deck cap for a pump out?

Thanks
Phil
P&H View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P&H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2018 at 16:18
thanks - looks a great solution 
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2018 at 17:13
Hi Phil,

I am not allowed to discharge anything into the water. So I only have the deck pump out fittings.
The new tank is downstream from the factory installed plastic tank, it has its separate vent and pump out fitting.
Both vents are above the max leve of the plastic tank. Connection between the two is via a special sanitary hose.
The lower tank has the ultrasonic sensor, on the plastic tank I am continuing to use the Gobius sensor system.
The max level in the lower tank is about the 50% level of the plastic tank.
For pump out it is sufficient to open only the deck fitting of the plastic tank.

I can only strongly suggest to build a wooden / cardboard model first. With this you can try out the fitting into the confined space and most importantly check the access for the pipe connectors, the level sensor and how to fit the pipe onto the connectors incl. double jubilee clips.  It would also make sense to install a filter into the vent hose, which needs to be changed annually or biannually ( of your course not needed if you are always in cold waters ). If you are satisfied, then you can make a rough sketch and approach some stainless steel shops. Include threaded flanges for the sensor and the pipe fittings.

Frank
P&H View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P&H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2018 at 08:51
Thanks Frank - very useful info.
 Post Reply Post Reply