myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Self Tacking Jib

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joey D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2018 at 21:42
If I may please add a question.  I recently purchased a 2014 415 with a self tacking jib.  The vessel also included a 105 Genoa.  Just wondering if this is self tacking as well or requires something more?  thanks for the help
Jeremy View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2018 at 22:02
I have the same clew board and mine has deformed slightly.
Ive gone to 2 spectra loops between the block and the clew board each loop going to a different hole on the board one hole apart. This was recommended by my Hanse dealer.
Works great, disperses the load a lot better and no metal on metal.
marcopone View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote marcopone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2018 at 23:30
Joey, the 105 Genoa is not self tacking.
You will use the 2 rails left and right of the mast.
As the Genoa is only 105% you will see that tacking is very easy and fast.
The Genoa is a far better sail than the jib.

Marco
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2018 at 13:38
Originally posted by Black Diamond Black Diamond wrote:

I don't believe this has anything to do with the amount of overlap (95% vs 105%).    Its all about halyard tension and whether the sail and/or the hardware are capable of dealing with the tension that an electric winch and new halyards can deliver.

Forgive my ignorance, but what has halyard tension got to do with the load applied to the clew board?

Edited by samuel - 12 October 2018 at 13:39
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
marcopone View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcopone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2018 at 14:03
Halyard tension -> clew board : no relation.

As there are many new boats with self-tacking jib I can not say that it could not work in a reasonable and long lasting way.

On my H575 I chose the Elvstrom more expensive sails.
Unfortunately the jib had a wrong shape : in the upper part it was too lose and was always spilled.
To partially correct this defect I had to use the higher ring on the clew board.
When sailing upwind I had also to haul it aft as much as possible.
The load on the ring in these conditions is quite high, as a consequence the clew board eventually and suddenly broke.
The jib was seriously damaged from the counterblow and I had to bring it to a sail maker for repair.
The wind was strong, around 20 knots.

So in my case the damage has been caused from two factors: wrong sail shape and very poor clew board design.

In any case I would not trust a self tacking jib in bad weather conditions.
Joey D View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joey D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2018 at 15:26
Very helpful, thanks much Marco!!
PS looking forward to a nice sail this weekend off Fort Lauderdale Florida Smile
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2018 at 15:28
If you are finding that the sail  is too loose at the head, there is a simple way to add tension to the leech without having to over tighten the foot & making the bottom part of the sail too flat. It depends how much room you have at the head of the sail.
A solution (although not perfect) is to put a dynema loop at the foot of the sail & let it move 150mm up the furler. (not sure if this is enough on a 575 though) this way one can get leech tension without pulling the foot so much. Of course sailing with the sail "in the air" does not suit everyone, but it does help to balance leech/foot tension on smaller craft a little until finances allow for a better sail.
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
marcopone View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcopone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2018 at 17:15
You are right, Samuel this wuold improve the situation.
However I do not think there is much space in the top to raise the sail of a significant amount.

Besides this ‘to have the sail in the air’ would increase the heeling because the sail center would be higher.
At last I can say that with very strong sea it is safer to have the sail higher in case of big waves who could hit the sail.
German View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote German Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2018 at 14:36
Another question on the self tacking jib. Did anyone have experienced reefing the jib to face strong winds? How does she behaves?
Relentless View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relentless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2018 at 13:25
I also notice that the leech is open in the upper 1/3 of the jib. When I moved to an aft clew ring I felt that there was way too much tension in the leech and sheet for little benefit of upper sail trim.

I went back to the center hole on the clew plate and accepted the problem as part of Hanse’s “easy sailing” philosophy.   This system is simple and is easy to manage for the short handed cruising couple.

If performance is wanted, I think I would get away from the self tacking system and install jib cars on tracks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123