myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 445/455/458
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solar panel(s)on a 455

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar panel(s)on a 455
    Posted: 23 September 2018 at 20:39
I'm thinking of adding solar panels. I think I'd prefer to site them on the area in front of the spray hood. This area - decked out in artificial teak - is generally unused apart from being a place to stow fenders when underway.

My principal interest is the ability to top up batteries when the boat is not on shore power or motoring.

I don't know whether it makes more sense to have a fixed panel - or a removable (roll up) panel which could be lashed down.

I'd be very interested in any thoughts on the subject - including recommendations of suitable panels.

Many thanks

Richard  
Richard M

(S/Y BrightStar - H 455 #90; ex S/Y Providence - H 400e #290)
Samtutuki View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samtutuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2018 at 00:17
Flexiblible panels particularly when mounted on bimini canvas have been known to catch fire.  Of course they are light weight which is often an advantage.

On my previous 445 I mounted two rigid panels above the bimini so that air could circulate underneath them to remove the considerable amount of heat generated by the panel. 

Equally important is to use one MPPT controller per panel to maximise energy harvesting.
Richard M View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2018 at 08:11
Many thanks Samtutuki. All helpful advice. Had not considered the heat generation point.

Richard
Richard M

Sea-U View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sea-U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2018 at 11:28
I have added 3 panels with each its own cheap regulator.
Now I have at least one panel giving something.

Sea-U is a 370e #532 located SW Norway
Richard M View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2018 at 14:57
Thanks Sea-U. That looks to be an elegant solution. What is a "normal" PV generation on a sunny day?
Richard M

Samtutuki View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samtutuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2018 at 05:07
Not so much room to play with on my new 315 but i managed to get 2 x 80W rigid panels over the hatch garage.  

In Sydney, Australia I budget on an annual average 3.9Wh per day per watt of panel rating.

Richard M View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2018 at 09:00
Thanks Samtutuki

Not sure I'll get quite that performance in the UK. I like the way you've angled the PV panels. Can you stand on them? 
Richard M

Sea-U View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sea-U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2018 at 09:56
The panel on the garage is 70 watts and expensive. The two on the "tent" is china 30 watts.
On a sunny day I get 4.5-5 Ampere.
I have a battery of 350Ah. That is probably too much. I have now plenty of power.
Sea-U is a 370e #532 located SW Norway
Samtutuki View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samtutuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2018 at 13:06
No, definitely not. But I never need to. Small boat.
Buggle View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buggle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2018 at 22:02
I have installed two 52W Solbian SP52Q flexible panels on the dodger of my 445. Together with a Genasun MPPT charge controller and a Victron BMV-700 battery monitor installed, you can keep track of the charging behavior. This is perfect for keeping the batteries topped up.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>