myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 311 / 312 / 315
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

blue hull fading

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wieland1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: blue hull fading
    Posted: 02 October 2018 at 16:54
my dark blue 312 is fading "chalking" mostly aroud the bow end. has anybody had experience how to deal with this?
i tried car polish . looked very good- but only for 3 weeks. would special stuff like from 3M do a better job? or is polishing hopeless and repainting or even "wrapping " the only solution? I would appreciate hearing from anybody who found a solution? thank you!
Wieland1
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2018 at 17:52
All coloured gel coats have this issue eventually - called oxidization.

If the hull is fairly new (a few years old), then using an oxidization remover (rubbing compound) first followed by a good wax will restore it for a number of months. Eventually though, after a number of years, even that only lasts a month or two. Doing that on my 2007 looks good for about 1 month then I can start to see some chalking again and after 3 months it's looking sad once again. I recently talked with a fiberglass expert at a boat building/repair company. He said that at this point I should have the whole hull wet sanded starting with around 400 grit and then progressively down to 5000 and then the polish. This will restore it to new. When I have a few thousand dollars laying round I may have it done (I won't have the time to do it myself)

Here's the products I currently use 
Polisher https://www.makita.ca/index2.php?event=tool&id=1905
Oxidization remover https://meguiars.ca/product/marinerv-heavy-duty-oxidation-remover/
wax https://www.westmarine.com/buy/meguiars---56-boat-rv-pure-wax--443226

Note, don't use the one step cleaner/wax. They don't protect that well.

For the removing the oxidization, use a good foam pad specifically for rubbing compounds (they are very firm). Alternatively, you can use a wool pad that is specifically for that purpose. The wool is a bit more aggressive. 
Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
Wieland1 View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wieland1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2018 at 19:06
thank you very much , Rubato for your very useful answer to my question
all the best from Wieland
Wieland1
daveg View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2018 at 11:24
Hi,

I gave up a few years ago trying to keep my dark blue hull glossy - the effort every year was not worth the couple of months it stayed good. The answer is to have it vinyl wrapped - choose your original colour or a new one. I've had minor damage caused by a burst fender scrape the vinyl but that was quickly and cheaply repaired.
Dave
Pieterman View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pieterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2018 at 13:05
This winter I will re-paint the faded blue hull of our 315 Pieterman. With good sanding and the use of the correct paint, I hope the result will be OK. We chose to stay with the lovely blue color. And we keep our fingers crossed...
Pieterman
Hanse 315 (2007)
BEL7000
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2018 at 08:28
Originally posted by Pieterman Pieterman wrote:

This winter I will re-paint the faded blue hull of our 315 Pieterman. With good sanding and the use of the correct paint, I hope the result will be OK. We chose to stay with the lovely blue color. And we keep our fingers crossed...

Hi Pieter
Sounds good----I shall come over & inspect it 10 August 2019 when I come for the Paulusfeesten 
Might even buy that coffee I owe youWink
Samuel
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
grumpydatagit View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpydatagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2018 at 13:00
I have a light blue hull 315 which someone punched a hole in last year - I the guy was good and paid for it. However, the original colour gel coat colour and the hull had a massive difference in colour. The only way they could get it to match was to sand it down the hull with 600 paper to get to the same colour as the repair and then use Aquabuff 2000 to finish off.  The other thing I noticed last year before the accident on the other side of the hull , was where I have a  2 metre cloth over the side to protect from fender rub, there was no UV damage to the hull under this cloth from the year previous polishing. So this year I'm going to make up some fender cloths that go most of the way along the hull.
Ta'I Miti 2 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ta'I Miti 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2018 at 17:34
Last winter (march 2018)  I had my white hull cleaned and polished by a shipyard

I thought she was a new boat

It's now december and the hull is as she was before although the hull as rinced after each cruise

This is not only a "coloured hull" problem

Not only those who wander are lost

I've learn that the best way to learn about people is to sail with them
Pieterman View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pieterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2019 at 11:12
Update! 

This week we sanded the hull of our 315 Pieterman. My son did most of the hard work. Some little holes were filled. Next week the hull needs a last sanding and cleaning. An then it is time to re-paint. I'm looking forward to this job.

Instead of the two white lines at the waterline, we will paint the antifouling a bit higher (to the bottom of the current thick line), then have one smalle blue line and above one broad line (to the top of the current small line). This broad line will continue to the very front of the bow so the port and starboard side become one.

It will not be Hanse-Hanse, but it will be to my liking. I'm looking forward to it.

Thumbs Up 

Pieterman
Hanse 315 (2007)
BEL7000
Pieterman View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pieterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2019 at 11:17
Originally posted by samuel samuel wrote:

Originally posted by Pieterman Pieterman wrote:

Hi Pieter
Sounds good----I shall come over & inspect it 10 August 2019 when I come for the Paulusfeesten 
Might even buy that coffee I owe youWink
Samuel

Hi Samuel,
You're always very welcome in Ostend. I'm looking forward to the coffee, and perhaps a Brugse Zot as well. 
Pieter
Pieterman
Hanse 315 (2007)
BEL7000
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>