myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 430
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

430 Main Sail Reefs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidwilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 430 Main Sail Reefs
    Posted: 25 November 2018 at 22:26
Hi,
I have just bought a 430 and am still waiting for my first sail.

Just wondering about the need for a third reef.
The North Sails which came with the boat have two reefing lines, and I am just wondering whether it would be worthwhile to make provision for a third reef whilst the sails are in the loft being overhauled.

Any thoughts or observations welcome.
David. (Delighted new owner...)
Jeremy View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2018 at 00:54
If your planning on taking the boat offshore, absolutely. Im putting a reef in at 35% of the luff length, which is more a storm reef. 
For Coastal cruising purposes though, Ive never found it necessary for a 3rd reef.
Ratbasher View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratbasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2018 at 05:46
I'd echo Jeremy's comments.  On the advice of both sailmaker and rigger my 400 has a deep 3rd reef instead of a trysail.  I mainly sail single or shorthanded and its a great deal easier and quicker to rig when conditions deteriorate especially if you're offshore.  You can probably get away with just 2 for coastal if you're in an area with refuges but I was daft enough to be out in a F9 in the Solent...
H400 (2008) 'Wight Leopard', Gosport UK
Alain & Anne View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alain & Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2018 at 09:20
HI David,
Congratulation!
We have had a third reef fitted at 40% of the luff, and that have been used many times. There are two reefing lines for the 3rd reef which go to extra cleats on the port side piano.
On the sail we are using low frictions rings instead of blocks.
Combined with the Harken battcar B system, we are able to reef in and out at a p
We also have a trysail track fitted alongside of the main track, with a 13m2 sail.
More details if you need.
Alain

Edited by Alain & Anne - 26 November 2018 at 09:22
UHAMBO 430e#004
White hull-teck deck-Yanmar 55hp-long range cruising
OCC

Our blog: www.uhambo.fr

RalphK View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RalphK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 20:10
Hello,

I am planning to sail through Chanel and Biscaya next year, so I just ordered a sailmaker to make a third Reef, too.

I still don‘t know how to pull it down then. How did you build lines for this? Are you taking reef 1 line off and use it for reef 3?

My Hanse 385 only has 2 lines and space for Reef1 and 2. Especially when it’s blowing F9 I want to avoid to walk up to the front but am afraid I will have no choice.
SY Wind Pearl, Hanse 385#358
Jeremy View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 22:35
Hi, Im still working this out myself. My main is with the sailmaker right now having the reef put in. I do know that im not going to have a permanent reefing line running all the way up to the 3rd reef. Thats too much rope blowing around up there for the little use it will have.
There are a number of different ways to do this but im yet to decide on the best method. Stay in touch on this one.
Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2018 at 10:17
The search  function in myhanse.com can unveil a lot of secrets, among those a method to route the third reef.

Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2018 at 10:24
Just remember to search for more than six months, which is the standard setup.
You can find more wise words from Martin&Rene in:

http://www.myhanse.com/single-line-3rd-reefing-setup_topic10548_post88610.html?KW=#88610
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2018 at 21:50
Originally posted by Jeremy Jeremy wrote:

Hi, Im still working this out myself. My main is with the sailmaker right now having the reef put in. I do know that im not going to have a permanent reefing line running all the way up to the 3rd reef. Thats too much rope blowing around up there for the little use it will have.
There are a number of different ways to do this but im yet to decide on the best method. Stay in touch on this one.

One option would be to fit the reef line to the first reef to the luff with a pulley with a snap shackle. Then when you go to second reef if you think that the wind may be rising drop the sail for a few minutes ( sail on the jib &/or engine) & move the first reef lines up to the third reef point. It means re roving the line through the leech but you will be doing that before the wind gets too high & all you do at the mast is quickly changing the position of the luff block from first to third reef position. It would not take long & if the wind dropped rather than rose it would be easy to re arrange back to the proper position in the lighter wind.
Do not forget to get the sail cover altered for the third reef at the same time as the sail!!!!!

Edited by samuel - 04 December 2018 at 21:52
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2018 at 15:38

This year has been a light wind year, so I must say we have hardly used the third reef system described above, though it has always been nice to know it is there in reserve.  In fact, as my wife, who does not really like heavy weather sailing, is also the yacht’s meteorologist, she considers she has failed in her forecasting skills if we have to use it, but since we sail in Scotland anything goes.

Based on an earlier thread on the forum, I think I use a similar reefing strategy to many other people.

Upwind

1st reef main, 2nd reef main, 3rd reef main.

Only once we have got to that point do we think about doing anything with the jib.  Since this only happens around 30 kts of wind, it means the oft repeated criticism of self tacking jibs is that “you cannot reef them and maintain a good sail shape” is fairly academic in practice.

Reaching

I use barber haulers to maintain a good shape on the jib and stop the top flapping,

http://www.myhanse.com/controlling-the-jib-downwind_topic10476_post88083.html?KW=Jib#88083

So, I basically use the same strategy as above.

In strong winds and with the wind forward of the beam, I have made good progress with just the self-tacking jib.

Downwind

I will normally use 2 sails as long as possible, so if there is a slight increase in wind, I will just furl the jib.  Our yacht is certainly quite happy broad reaching with or without a jib, with either a full or reefed main.

A key thing to remember is that with full length battens and swept back spreaders, you need to round up and bring the wind forward of the beam if you want to easily reef the main.  So as always, the advice is reef early and if you think you may need a third reef, make certain it is set up before the wind picks up.

If you are really expecting a blow, you can consider dropping the main and just sailing under the self-tacking jib, as once the wind is around 20kts, you will have good boat speed.

Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>