myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 385/388
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jib Sheet 2:1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jib Sheet 2:1
    Posted: 03 December 2018 at 20:45
Has anyone altered the standard jib and sheet to add a block and make a 2:1 pull?  Unfurling the jib and setting it correctly close hauled is sometimes a challenge on our 385 and this would seem to be any easy adjustment.  Any photos or comments not to try it from anyone who knows better would be appreciated.
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 21:48
I think you will find that this is a common alteration, although not everyone feels it is a good idea!
I found my jib sheet, which was originally attached as a single line to the sail, was often difficult to deploy and also to furl.
I attached a block to the sail using a soft shackle but my original sheet wasn't long enough for the 2:1 return to the traveller so I bought a new 12mm braid-on-braid line. The existing line was 12mm and that's what the owner's handbook specified, however the new rope I got had quite a soft casing which quickly became "fuzzy" and added significantly to the friction.
Last season I replaced this with a 10mm dynema line which has transformed things, to the extent that I'm not sure if the 2:1 purchase is actually required (although I am still using it).
I'm not sure that dynema is really required, but I would definitely recommend switching to a thinner line with a smooth, hard outer casing.
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2018 at 00:09
altering the jib sheet from 1:1 to 2:1 will only make the sail more difficult to furl due to increased resistance in jib sheet.

1:1 is plenty for a jib or your size, jib sheet block into the mast is rated at 2.1kn, your loads will be 20% of that so not an issue and when off the wind your sail shape will be better without the weight of a block on clew board.

replace the factory jib sheet with 10mm dyneema even 8mm would be fine if your clutches can deal with it, small line will also reduce resistence.

Stephen
2010 H400 #691, Auckland, New Zealand
Goat View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2018 at 02:20
Thanks both for the speedy and helpful replies.  S&J - can you recall what length of dyneema sheet you required, I can't find this info in my documentation?

Brufan View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brufan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2018 at 09:34
I swap to a 2:1 very early in my ownership.  
You need a hi-load, light and low friction block... so expensive !
Second : swap the sheet for one size smaller dyneema one (10 mm ?).  Less resistance in blocks
Third : there are hi loads on Jib's block attachement.  Take care of this part.
Bruno

hanse 355 - 57

S/Y Spicy Ginger

White hull, 2 cabins, Volvo D1-30, Selden rig, removable mainsheet track system, Simrad (now B&G)-Jefa autopilot.
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2018 at 18:26
I started with the factory supplied 12mm sheet via a block at the jib back to the rail. This made manual furling impossible, i needed a winch.

Since last year I switched to a 10 mm dyneema sheet directly attached to the jib. I can now furl in my jib manually, even my wife can do it.
Frank
Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2018 at 20:18
My boat was delivered with 2:1 back in 2006
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2018 at 21:20
If you remove the 2:1 sheeting arrangement that many boats are fitted with when supplied you increase the load on the pulley in the mast plus the load on the turning block at the mast foot & on the clutch at the winch.. If you also reduce the diameter of the sheet then you may risk slippage at the clutch which may (note: may) mean changing the inside clutch mechanism.
Conversely, if you add 2:1 you greatly reduce the loading
There is a fair load on the jib. I do not know how much, but I do know that this year i had the wheel inside a new 50 dia Barton block collapse. (the one shackled to the jib) & my jib is much smaller than the OP's. I think that a 2:1 is worthwhile having.

Oddly enough this year the halyard pulley in the mast head also collapsed so I have had to have the mast dropped to renew it. It has ended up an expensive repair.

Edited by samuel - 04 December 2018 at 21:27
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2018 at 10:47
@samuel. The H385 is supplied without a 2:1 jibsheet (or at least my 2015 model was) and the OP is asking about installing one.

@Goat. I can see I ordered 32m of Race XP from SVB24. From memory, the owners manual specified 27m and I measured the furled clew to track as 4m and added another metre for spare.

The Race XP is very stiff but has proved a good and relatively economic choice.

I have changed the spinlock cams for my three dyneema halyards to larger cams (6-10mm?) but have not needed to do this for the 10mm jib sheet.

Edited by S&J - 05 December 2018 at 10:52
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
Goat View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2018 at 12:26
Thanks again.  I think that ordering 32m of dyneema, replacing the sheet but having enough for the 2:1 option will be the job to get done.

I'm really grateful of the replies, which if nothing else, reinforce my view that I have a lot to learn!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>