myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 400
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wet sand dull "white gray" gelcoat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Seaforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2022 at 17:27
I will add this to an older post as it may be of some
use to North American users.

I followed a process similar to the method described by Marco C for the hull and deck of my previous boat, and for the topside decks of my new (to me) Hanse 400 last spring. This spring before launching I plan to do the hull.  I was very happy with the result.  The idea is to get the gel coat fresh and shiny, and keep it that way by adding a couple of layers of good wax.  Thereafter it should only be necessary to add to and polish the wax from time to time. After a summer of use and a Canadian winter on the hard, my previous boat looked great after a hand application and polish of wax in the spring. 

Sanding should not be necessary in most cases as the compound contains fine abrasive material and will remove only a tiny amount of the gel coat. 

The exact method I used was laid out in detail by Maine Sail in a 2003 post to another forum found in the link below. This lists products that are readily available in the US and Canada.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123