myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SD 50 Slipping cone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SD 50 Slipping cone
    Posted: 05 February 2019 at 23:18
Slipping cones on the SD50 and the lapping of said cones, are covered in detail if you search the subject in myhanse.com (and other pages).

One Hanse owner asked which size "drive shaft socket wrench" he should buy, for mounting the cone gear shaft in a vice. This is a better solution than using alu brackets to protect the steel.
There seems to be no answer to his question, so for my own (eventual) future lapping of the poorly manufactured cones, can someone please tell me which size fits the shaft???

Looking at the youtube video mentioned in one thread, I would guess 28 or 30 millimeters. We Scandinavians have the shop "Biltema", where a  socket wrench set of three pieces (30-32-36) can be bought for some 35€. If I want a set from 27-36 mm the price will be 80€.
The interesting part is the bottom of the drive shaft (18).

If someone has the exact size, I could just buy one piece (e.g. 28 mm).

I thank you in advance

Cook the Captain
This exploded drawing is freely accessible on the net (www.wesailhanse.se), but the copyright must be owned by Yanmar

Edited by Captain Cook - 06 February 2019 at 11:03
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
Alain & Anne View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alain & Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2019 at 16:03
Hi Captain,
The wrench size is 27mm. 
Alain
UHAMBO 430e#004
White hull-teck deck-Yanmar 55hp-long range cruising
OCC

Our blog: www.uhambo.fr

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alain & Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2019 at 16:21
Hi Captain,
Sorry I made a mistake when reading: the number I gave is the wrench size for the nut on the top. To hold the shaft into the vice I used pieces of copper tube you cans see on the picture.
I did the same when I repaired the cones of myself first sail drive in 2012 in Chile. That's worth.
Alain
UHAMBO 430e#004
OCC

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alain & Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2019 at 16:22
Here is the pic.

UHAMBO 430e#004
OCC

Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2019 at 20:49
Hi Alain
I had some issues with a somewhat meek propulsion when motoring last summer, so maybe I have to do some lapping later. In the autumn though, the propulsion seemed normal.

In your foto I guess that the unit placed in the vice represents everything from number 13 upwards to number 10 in the exploded wiew. The cone to be lapped must be number 19, which has friction against  the two cups numbered 17 (top/bottom).
At www.lidingomarin.com I found some prices for spareparts.
9) Nut with left-hand thread €47!
10) Shims €100!
I have seen various descriptions/videos of the procedure, but as I remember, 9) and 10) are the only spareparts I will need to buy?

Considering that Yanmar has delivered a not-so-good product, I find it very bad-mannered to charge those prices when the customers have to repair Yanmars mistakes. Of course any marine mechanic will get a discount of 40-50% of the mentioned prices, but I will not.
When I had to change the rubber-diaphragm back in 2014, I chose to let a professional do the work, because the prices I should pay for spare parts were almost equal to the final bill I recieved. I have mentioned this in a earlier thread.
Kjeld the Captain

Edited by Captain Cook - 14 February 2019 at 00:08
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
toholthe View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toholthe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2019 at 22:46
There is an upgrade kit available. This solves the problem permanently. I will use this when my clutch starts to slip.

http://www.multihulls4us.com/forums/showthread.php?7132-Yanmar-SD40-amp-SD50-Cone-Clutch-Upgrade-Kit

The guy who sells it sends you a full description and everything you need. Seems like a better solution than to relap everything 500hr or so.

The Kit consist of;

New larger diameter Top Nut

New larger diameter Lower Collar

2x Thrust Bearings

3x O Rings

Cone lapping Paste

Loktite

Go-no-Go setting up Gauges

Setting up Clamp assembly

Selector Set Screw and Lock Nut

Vent Fitting, Tubing and End Filter

Selector Cotter (Split) Pin

Instructions on CD covering; Removal, Rework, Cone Lapping, Setting Up, Installation, Adjustment and Oil Level/spec etc.

There is also a SPLINE HOLDING TOOL available that makes the Top Nut removal/fitment a LOT easier.

Edited by toholthe - 06 February 2019 at 22:47
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alain & Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2019 at 11:00
Hi Kjeld,
Picture is exactly what you noticed.
Regarding the upgrade kit, I will investigate deeper.
My experience with this issue is the following:
In 2012, after many milles motoring into the Patagonian channels, we started having trouble with the sail drives which eventually leave us to do cones lapping. The sail drive had 1700 h of running time.
I have done it with one of my friend. At the time we did ignore many tricks, but the longer part of the job was to find proper lapping past in Puerto Montt (Chile)
It worked perfectly until New Zealand where unproper change of the lower bearing by a "professional" in Tahiti lead to breaking of the pinions. 
I changed the whole sail drive in Auckland in 2014, and since we sailed to France. 
Last year in 2018, after some 1030h the cones started to slip as we were cruising in Norway. Eventually I found a place in a private marina near Aalesund, with a work bench! and I did it. It took me less than one day, all included! I knew the tricks.
Having done two times on the same type and model, I came to the conclusion that the cones were not lapped properly as from the beginning: I have a strong mechanical background, particularly on engines and gears, and when I was doing the lapping of the cones, my adjustment by hand was far much better than the automatic one done originally.
Anyway, It is not a very hard job to do.
Alain
UHAMBO 430e#004
OCC

Post Reply Post Reply