myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 300 / 301
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taking a Hanse 301 to the Caribbean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taking a Hanse 301 to the Caribbean
    Posted: 17 February 2019 at 12:05
Out of interest has anybody taken their 301 to the Caribbean, perhaps they are still there..
I’m not looking for full time liveaboard but max 5 months with a few weeks break in the middle..
How did they get on with it?
Hanse 301, tiller steering, Volvo 2010 (10hp)
Bitbaltic View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitbaltic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2019 at 19:31
I’ve never heard of anyone taking a 301 across but on the trade winds route I suppose they are up to it.

My offshore background is in RORC (on completely different boats) and- this is an entirely personal view- is that my 301 is not a boat for ocean crossings.

They were conceived as Baltic (flat water, tideless) fast cruiser/racers. The 301 (or at least my shallow draft race prepped one) is narrow, tippy and light; in big seas the boat needs continuous positive seamanship to keep it under control.

I don’t think this rules it out of an ocean passage but I do think it would be potentially exhausting and demanding passage work if conditions were anything other than ideal.

Would love to be proved wrong though!! :)
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2019 at 22:35
I agree that this could be a challenge.  I don't consider my 385 an ocean  going boat although I do know Interlude sailed from Greifswald to Sydney, Australia in 2015 without major incident.

I'm hoping to get as far as the Canaries, possibly the Azores.  Eventually...

It took me 3 years to get out of the Baltic!
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2019 at 23:12
Just go back some 20-30 years, before boatsize-inflation did set in. Back then there were lots of "small" boats crossing the Atlantic alone or in the ARC.
I remember Flemming Bitz from Denmark, sailing his Albin Ballad 30, (www.bitz.dk), and also S/Y Love going to Cuba in a Ballad (www.sylove.dk).
The important thing when crossing the Atlantic is not the size of the boat, but what's between the ears of the Skipper :-).
It took me under two minutes to find these old stories of brave danish Skippers in small boats, and since just a few of you understand the language of the Vikings, I'm sure that you can easily find similar homepages in a language you understand.
Cook the Captain
(Since 2006 the proud owner of a Hanse 400, upgrading from a "small" Maxi 95)

Update: It just crossed my mind: Swedish Jerk Oldenburg sailed in 1998-2007 round the world and gained a place in Wikipedia. I e-mailed with Jerk back then, when he 67-76 years of age solo-sailed the Seas, always in a good mood, and often with a funny remark about the life at sea, and the strange behaviour of the Swedish government. His homepage is still active: (www.vindela.se).
Vindela is a Hallberg-Rassy 31.

Edited by Captain Cook - 08 March 2019 at 00:13
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
holby View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2019 at 06:59
Just to point “has anybody taken a 301 to the Caribbean “, I’m looking to put mine in a transport ship and delivered to the Caribbean..
I am interested in the practicalities if one has managed the pottering out and about there.. 

Edited by holby - 08 March 2019 at 11:06
cptgood View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cptgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2019 at 10:03
Someone still does it.

Ecume de mer - less than 8mt

I think that, if correctly rigged and prepared , almost any boat can cross in the trade winds.
Hanse320 - Hull#127/08 - Wheel - ST headsail - Yanmar 3YM30 - SD20
Bitbaltic View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitbaltic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2019 at 19:29
I’d much sooner take a Ballad across than a 301. Same size, very different boats.
holby View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2019 at 09:49
Luckily I’m not looking at taking it across the Atlantic..
I’m looking at getting it out in a cargo ship and transported out there.. 
I’m interested in how suitable it is once over there..  and which marina I should perhaps make my base for the first season, whilst I learn the ropes, etc of sailing around there..
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2019 at 18:27
Dave
Have you had that boat south of Cornwall yet - ??!!!!!
Why not spend some time nearer home , like Channel Islands then Northern France then round the corner down to La Rochelle. The cruising ground is fantastic & the weather is normally great in the summer.

Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
holby View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2019 at 19:59
Samuel, Great to hear from you, indeed I have as far around as Gosport...😂😂😂
But I’m looking at 4 yrs time when I retire...I will be looking at winter sun, plus summer sun in Uk..
I know I’m not as well travelled as you.. but this is something I have wanted to do for many years.
😂😂😂👍👍👍
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>