myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 320
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changing hull anode

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter-Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2019 at 19:01
The part on the boat from FTK is definatly no ANODE.

From his picture it is this product (same on my boat):

Blake 370
CharlesP View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2019 at 19:36
I agree Peter.  I seem to recall the electrical specification and anode requirements on 320 changing.  Later models like mine have the Vetus type 15 anode.  When I bought mine new in 2010, the dealer made special mention of the anodes, so I believe they had been "wearing" rather more quickly on some earlier models.  Perhaps related to mains power in marinas, adjacent boats and stray currents.

Charles

'MERIDIAN LADY'

320 Nr 536 2010

Medway
FTK View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2019 at 21:12
Yes, I agree as well. 
This is very similar, a little bit bigger. On my boat there is 154 * 52mm measure one.
320 #145
Knolauss View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knolauss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2019 at 21:42
On my 320 there is a Hull anode, and i would like to remove it.
Have anyone done that?

Edited by Knolauss - 23 September 2019 at 22:08
CharlesP View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2019 at 14:35
Just undo those nuts to remove the anode. But why do you want to remove it? It looks as if it only needs a clean.
'MERIDIAN LADY'

320 Nr 536 2010

Medway
Knolauss View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knolauss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2019 at 16:43
Hi
I intend to remove it, not replace it.
Can't see the purpose of this anode, if it does't do any good then it should not be there.
Other boats I have looked at do not have a hull anode, only some Hanse boats, but not all Hanse boats, why?
There must be a reason why Hanse installed this anode, but I can only speculate, I do not know for sure.
Rudder manufacturer do not recomend this solution, they advice to isolate the rudder electricaly to avoid corrosion.
But, if others have bad experiences removing this anode, I might reconsider.
CharlesP View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2019 at 17:26
The keel bolts, rudder quadrant and engine were connected to it when my boat was purchased new in 2010. A year later, Jeffa recommended disconnecting the connection to the rudder quadrant, so only the keel bolts and engine remain connected.
I wouldn’t know why some boats do or don’t. Standards evolve over time, usually to improve, overcome a problem or to cut costs. As the addition of this anode and wired connections would seem to have an additional cost implication, I presume a problem needed to be overcome.
'MERIDIAN LADY'

320 Nr 536 2010

Medway
Knolauss View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knolauss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2019 at 21:24
I speculate, but do not know why Hanse installed this "Hull anode". It could be an effort to avoid accident like the "Megawat sinking" in 2005 https://www.mcib.ie/_fileupload/Documents/reports/Megawat_11_06.pdf
The rudderstock was corroded, corrosion did not cause the accident, but it could have been the cause because the rudderstock was severly corroded.
Hanse then installed this hull anode on some boats to see if corrosion on the rudderstock was affected??
cafemino View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cafemino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2020 at 20:34
Hi,

Just lifted my 320 out of the water and the grounding plate needs replacing- as bolts have corroded and fallen  outConfused, only access is as you said underneath the floorboards in the galley. Seems impossible to access without dismantling the whole cabinet.  How did you get on?
FTK View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 09:35
Hi,

In the end, I didn't have to change the grounding plate.
I think if you pick up the bottom panels on the port side, you can pull out the big one above the grounding plate.

320 #145
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>