myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 445/455/458
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

H 458

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h458 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H 458
    Posted: 27 February 2019 at 17:28
Dear all

We are a family of 4, kids 9 and 11. 

I sailed quite a lot of times, always charter boats. Mainly in Adriatic and always with at least the crew of 4. 

Finally we have a chance to buy our own sailing boat  and I am thinking on Hanse 458 as a first choice. 
(others on the list were Beneteau 41.1., 46.1 and SO440)

At the beginning easy family sailing in Adriatic, ( later Greece....) getting to know the boat and getting the family used to sailing. Kids were on the sailing boat only twice.

For those of you who already are a Hanse owner, do you have any suggestions what to be careful at the delivery and commissioning the boat, equipment etc...? 
For instance, I watched some videos that some of the owners send their own surveyor, inspector to the Hanse factory to check the boat during production already? I mean you are buying a new boat and somehow you should expect to be quality checked before the delivery? Or not? Confused I also saw a photo of the keel, which was really uneven.

I read quite a few of negatives about Hanse boats, but on the other hand you can read this about any other shipyard as well.

As I understand that most important is the dealer, for whom I do not have a lot of choice. I think we only have one in our country. I hope he is good ;)

Equipment:
Bow thruster (not sure about the stern, although I will be more or less single handed crew at the beginning), electric winches, heating, inverter...plus all the rest needed of course. Anything else recommended?

Electric toilet; are they really prone to break so often... 

Upgrades: except for the anchor what else is recommended for the upgrade (I believe Rocna is the one to go for?)
What size of Dinghy is recommended that wouldnt interfere with the sails?

That is all that I can remember at the momentWink

Thank you all for the help and commentsSmile

All the best!!

regards,

Jbazwin View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbazwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2019 at 09:52
Hi, we bought a H455 and have one child, we are from Auckland, New Zealand. Here is what I can think of from the top of my head:
- Drop down table in Saloon is good - Children can play/rest here during passage making / extra bed
- Additional Fridge Drawer option - you might struggle with the standard fridge space.
- Electric toilet in main Saloon + manual toilet in forward cabin is a good option. We have a raratan electric toiled and Jabsco manual toilet. Both good brands, electric is so easy for guests to use, and the manual is a good backup if the electric fails.
- Anchor, definitely get 100m of warp added to your chain, ours only came with 55m of chain.
- Souther Pacific 3.0m dinghy fits perfectly on the bow and doesn't interfere with sails. Quality NZ made inflatables http://southernpacific.co.nz/products/shearwater-rib/
- get 4 winches - 2 electric and 2 manual.
- Midship pop up cleats - I think these are an option - definitely get these
- Rub Rail - we dont have but would like to get installed.
- Bow thruster is great, we dont really need a stern thruster for our situation, dont think you would really need it but could be handy in tight spots - but more maintenance. 
- Windcraft New Zealand are great dealers and do a great job of commissioning the boats + after sales service. As with any new boat (any brand) there are quite a few after factory niggles that need to get ironed out and this falls to your dealer. The commissioning process is often overlooked but pretty important 'part of the deal'

Hope this helps, 

Regards
Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2019 at 12:54
I've posted a few times in the 575 process about the commissioning checklist I used as well as things to be careful of.   Rather than repeating that here, let me know if you want it and I'll send it on via private mail.

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2019 at 08:12
I too have a checklist, which several forumites have used. Please PM me with your e-mail address.
Where are you based?  Who is your dealer ? Maybe they will send somebody to inspect the boat prior shipment.

Concerning equipment I would order everything which creates a huge effort to install afterwards:
Here are some ideas , a lot depends on you personal preferences:

a) Bowthruster
b) Main Electric winches
c) addtl. fridges ( drawers if possible )
d) Air Condition
e) Generator
f) Heater ( maybe combine with d )
g) Powerful inverter 220 V 2000 Watts, so you don't need always the generator or in marinas where you are not allowed to ( or should not ) use the gen, also great if you want to recharge you electrc outboard when underway
h) black water tanks
i) stainless anchor and chain
h) deck wash pump and outlet
j) additional displays in nav station and cockpit/mast
k) deck lights ( LED combine in steaming light or esparate )

I would not go for the electric toilets, they break too often. Go for manual and have a complete pump set ready to be dropped in. Alternatively have one electric and one manual. Never thought about a stern thruster even if single handed.

Things which you buy locally from somebody your dealer trusts would be everything in canvas like sprayhood, bimini, lazybag, sail covers …..

BR
Frank

Edited by Fendant - 28 April 2019 at 08:17
Frank
kipwrite View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipwrite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2019 at 11:28
Fendant’s list is a good one. 

I’d add a Genoa sail track installed by the factory. Hard to install after market. 

Kipwrite
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2019 at 16:45
Kipwrite is right, if you are a coffee aficionado I would go for the Nespresso machine. Ypu can store the capsules for a long time and you have instantly great coffee the first hour you are on board.
Ok, a real Italian espresso can't be beaten, but is too big even on  a 458Big smile
Frank
h458 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h458 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 11:11
Thank you all! Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply