myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 311 / 312 / 315
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Antifoul Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Antifoul Question
    Posted: 08 July 2019 at 10:40
Hi Bob
I used the standard thinner from Hempel Hard Racing. About 75g cheap chili powder from the supermarket is mixed with thinner to a consistence a little thicker than the paint.
Then mix with the paint. (For 3/4 liter it is 75g, and for 2,5 liters about 250 grams chili).
With Hard Racing without chili I had thousands of barnacles, with chili under 20!

I have used chili since 2009, and the layer on the hull must be pretty thick by now. Every second (or third) year I clean the hull with a high-pressure cleaner, sand the hull lightly with grain 60-80 so the new paint has some scratches to cling on to, and apply 1-2 thin layers of paint. The Hempel paint is pretty good, no flakes are peeling off, even if there must be some 10-12 thin layers of paint.
Pictures can be seen in my post "Chili con Antifouling" as mentioned above
Kjeld
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2019 at 09:40
5l seems excessive for a 10m boat.  Do you feel the second coat is worthwhile?

I had Hempel Mille NCT applied by the yard at Greifswald when the boat was new and applied a single coat of this after each of my first two seasons in the Baltic.  A 2.5l tin cost over €100 (antifoul is generally much more expensive in Europe than UK)  I thinned it down to cover my 385, using one 2.5l and one 0.75l in total.
Since then I have used Hempel Tiger which I find is a much harder coating and lasts well.  It also covers a greater area without needing so much thinners.  I now use one 2.5l tin which covers the entire hull and rudder with enough left over to cover the waterline a second time, plus a portion of a 0.75l tin for the keel.

I also swapped my application method and now use a small roller (10cm?) rather than a large one.  This produces less splatter/spray so is much less wasteful and surprisingly it also seems to be quicker.  I think the larger roller is unable to follow the contours of the hull as well.

My boat is only afloat for 4 months of the year and during that period is in very regular use so there is not much opportunity for growth to get established.

I experimented with my previous boat which was often afloat all year.  Initially I always used two coats but switched to a single coat and found little difference.

Edited by S&J - 08 July 2019 at 09:48
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
D0bbies View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D0bbies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2019 at 07:52
Thank you Cap'n Cook, that's interesting.

Being undecided, I went for two coats of Hempel Tiger Extra once again, but I'll consider your idea next season using a less expensive AF with added chili. By the way, what did you use for thinners?

Interestingly I've had problems in the past with barnacles building up on my prop which has caused a severe loss of propulsion. So this year after polishing the whole prop, I coated it with Seudo Creme (baby cream) mixed with paprika. To date I've not experienced any loss in propulsion but there is still lots of time. I'll post back when the boat is removed from the water at the end of the season.

Cheers
Bob

2005 312, Tiller, Engine 2GM20, SD20 Saildrive. Facnor SD 130 Furler.
Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2019 at 22:19
Try ChitChat
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chili con Antifouling
    Posted: 24 October 2018 at 22:02

You can search my posts and find this on page 9 of 10.       (Left click on my name and choose "Find members posts" and change "Last six months" to "Any date").

Edited by Captain Cook - 07 July 2019 at 22:36
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
fiddler View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2019 at 21:45
Hi,

I've used Flag and it seems as good as any other antifouling that I've used  ie Shogun Seajet and International Cruiser, at least in salt water and assuming you repaint every season.  Not sure if any of them would last longer than 1 season,  though I have heard people say that they have done just that.
Note that all three are Copper based so shouldn't be used anywhere near the rudder post.
Fidddler
D0bbies View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D0bbies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 10:24
Looking at this years price of AF, I wondered if anyone had first hand experience of "Flag Antifoul Cruising". I've read mixed reviews but more positive than negative. I sail and moor in Cornish waters.

Last few years I've been using Hempel Tiger extra with excellent results but at £65 for a 2.5lt tin x 2, I was looking for alternatives.

Thanks

2005 312, Tiller, Engine 2GM20, SD20 Saildrive. Facnor SD 130 Furler.
 Post Reply Post Reply