myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 461 / 470
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Winter Maintenance plus some would likes - 05/04
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Winter Maintenance plus some would likes - 05/04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dogscout View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogscout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter Maintenance plus some would likes - 05/04
    Posted: 26 May 2020 at 22:28
Thankyou so much for the info.  My 430 is in Greece and I am in the US right now.  I found the dual temp/pressure gauge online over here and may order it to take back when I can travel.  I also looked hard at VDO gauges and may consider making up a whole new panel with separate tach, temp and pressure gauges.  I'll get rid of the lights and analog tach.  I'm still looking for a matching hobbs meter to record hours.  Fitting all of that plus key switch and kill switch in one panel may be difficult.

Thanks again.  You have inspired me to build this.
Adventure awaits
JonB View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 21:44
Dogscout,

The Tacho is by Veethree
Jon B
470e
http://www.norse-king.blogspot.co.uk
JonB View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 16:57
Afternoon Dogscout,

Apologise I went down to the boat today and gave myself a note to check on the manufacturers names of things and forgot - doh.

It is all automotive parts the lights are easy to find, the digital oil pressure/water temperature is an SPA white faced (7 colour LED) (SPA-DG200-W) it came from Merlin Motorsport here in the UK (sales@....co.uk) mm all one word. My son gave me the idea as he's the same gauges for his drift car. the background to the LED is purple when below the required range, green when in the zone and red when above and flashes red if you ignore it.  Also the I've wired it so that the amber light comes on at low oil pressure determined by me and the blue when the waters hot (90C).

I'll find out what make the tacho is, the ignition is a five point one, the only thing I've re-used is the engine stop button.
Jon B
470e
Dogscout View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogscout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 18:17
Very nice work.  Can you give some more information on the components for the engine panel?  Were the idiot lights sourced from an automotive source?  I am considering a new panel and so far have bought a new yanmar ignition switch.  I was thinking of looking at a tractor supply source for the tach and idiot lights.
Adventure awaits
JonB View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 21:00
A year later and I have the new J3 up and flying

Trouble is with the lock down I can't go and get my Code 0 that has had a Facnor FX+ top down furling system from Lymington and see how the dual sail perform in this glorious weather.  Still if the weather does change for the worst by the time I'm allowed to go and collect the Code 0, I've a storm sail to get me back home

Edited by JonB - 19 May 2020 at 21:01
Jon B
470e
JonB View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2019 at 18:33
Updates,

This is the marine ply chemically bonded to the bulkhead, with the nut done up whilst it set.  The next step is to Fibreglass it again the wall not that this will provide any strength but will make it watertight.  I may go that extra mile and spray flow-coat (Gelcoat) to provide an additional protective layer and fill any pores I may have missed.

It'll also give a finished look to it, then I'll locktight the nuts as I have the second 'lock' nuts to the four bolts through the deck.  Here I'm trying to match the veneer so that it hides the steel bracket inside.

Another from my would like list is the replacement of the dud Yanmar tachometer with new, plus the fitting of a digital oil pressure and water temperature gauge.  This has also given me the opportunity to replace the ignition switch, bottom right, that uses the 'square' key that can be turned on with pliers, with a proper key.  We eventually found that the key sometimes got knocked which would turn the ignition off, not the engine, preventing the use of the bow thruster!

The stop button is top right.

The panel still has the protective plastic covering it.

The digital readout can be colour coded, my son's race car has purple for below pressure or temperature turning green when it has reached the operating window.  It then goes red when above that window and flashes if that is maintained.  The three lights at the top are an ignition light and repeaters for gauge, oil (orange) & water (blue).

All I've got to do now is to wire it in, the sensors are already fitted to the engine.

So this has the removable front panel at the front, the ceiling strip needs to be cut and secured either side and no doubt a touch of white mastic sealant to clean the edges.  I've still to spray the fibreglassed strengthening panel on the other side of the bulkhead, but I may run out of time on the hard as the boat goes back in the water soon. I've delayed it due to work commitments So I may bring it back into the marina so I can get the compressor on the pontoon.

Let's hope it's a windless day and no one else is moored up nearby!

So I decided to apply the Gel coat by hand as, after all, it is in the anchor locker.  So I now need to organise a new halyard for the J3, the J3 itself and a mouse line (to bring the 2:1 pulley down from its stored position.

I've to sort out the wiring for the ignition/alternator but everything else is working.

Edited by JonB - 05 April 2019 at 19:16
Jon B
470e
JonB View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2019 at 21:01
Every year we haul out NK to the hard for three months over winter, whereby he gets plugged into shore power, with the trickle heaters on and the dehumidifier running.  I call it my potting shed, as it becomes very convenient to wander down plug the kettle in and make tea, whilst I work my way through the annual winter list of jobs.

This is usually derived from 'normal' things like washing, cleaning, waxing and polishing the hull, no small task in itself, to winch servicing and steaming the heads clean.  Then there are the jobs that may have derived from being away, whether something needs replacing or the realisation that those cupboards in the heads are half a waste of space and an extra shelf or two doubles its capacity to take more stuff.  Not my stuff I hasten to add, no, no, no. a toothbrush, paste, shaver and foam/gel plus some sun cream is about my itinerary.  Being away or living on board for a time soon show's what would be useful and what could be used better.

Then there are the jobs you didn't get around to last year, the socket next to the pillows in the master cabin, why there, plug anything into it and you'll end up with it up your nose in the middle of the night, so it's on the list to move to the other end. It's still there.

Must move the AIS aerial from the pull-pit to the first spreader, still there.

Then there's the 'would like' jobs.  The cyclonic diesel filter, the changing of the brass stopcocks to plastic ones.  Or following the Volvo Ocean Race, the fitting of a staysail to provide me with a twin headsail arrangement!!!!

So, first things first, I need to look to see if it's feasible, there's a spare pulley up the mast for the Spinnaker pole uphaul (I think) and the anchor locker bulkhead appears to be in the right place.  So go through the forum and see who else has something similar, luckily there is and he sent me some useful information, thank you.

Seeing exactly what I had to mind in Guernsey last year also fuelled the fire, ok it was on a bigger sister boat but never-the-less, it's possible.

So I had the stainless steel cut and drilled to size and a local welder assemble it for me and that's where it stopped.  But this year NK has been out for four months, not three, yes I had a flu type thing and a stomach bug plus washing a boat during a cold snap is to be avoided.

I say cold, it really didn't get below freezing and look I'm moaning about it, must be British.

Anyway, I've planned it and got on with it.  The D ring has been fixed up the mast below the pulley wheel so I can get a 2:1 purchase from the halyard.  The bracket has been carefully measured several times and first chemically bonded to the bulkhead, see below:-

Yes, that's a vertical laser, I wanted to avoid drilling through the deck in the wrong place nor drill more than once.  The screws and washers are to hold it in place whilst the bond set.  It's since had all six bolts drilled through as well as the four through the deck above again see below:-

This is works in progress, the next job is to strengthen the bulkhead by chemically bonding a vertical piece of marine ply and then fibreglassing it in to make watertight.  The metal plate you see above will be placed on the outside sandwiching the ply (currently laying on deck to the right).

The countersunk screws to the deck D ring are about 20mm too short, so new on order.  That too will be chemically bonded and bolted tight

This is also a handy place from which to attach my anchor ball.

My biggest job will be to then make the bracket in the master cabin disappear, or be a feature.  Do I make up a Cherry wood veneer panels to go over the entire thing that can be removed to check bolt tightness in the future, or do I do the same in fibreglass and spray it with white flow coat to match the ceiling?

I'll update this post as I get to finish the works.  I'll include what it looks like with the sail out, which is currently part of my 'Would likes' list!

Edited by JonB - 05 April 2019 at 19:16
Jon B
470e
 Post Reply Post Reply