myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Simrad NSS12 - stopped showing time in instrument
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Simrad NSS12 - stopped showing time in instrument

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nilandhoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simrad NSS12 - stopped showing time in instrument
    Posted: 30 March 2019 at 08:17
We have a Simrad NSS 8 fitted and at the end of last year noticed that the time had disappeared  from the instrument bar at the top of the screen.  Unable to fix the problem by changing the settings I left the problem for an other day.

Having just picked up on the GPS week number rollover issue which was reported in the RYA news, I though I would check to see if the NSS 8 would be affected.  Reading other forums it appears that I am not the only one with the problem of disappearing time.  One report stated that it was a problem with the GPS chip fitted in the first generation of the NSS 8 and 12.

There is a software update that has been issued by Simrad in January this year and people on the other forum report that it has fixed the problem.

Here is the link to the Simrad software update;

Paul
Hanse 325 'One Life'
Mark&Catherine View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2019 at 11:36
oh blimey, I hope mine is OK.  I hate fiddling with the software
385 ubulukutu sail number GBR 3350L in Turkey and Greece with Mark and Catherine
Nilandhoo View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nilandhoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2019 at 13:43
From what I can see it is a problem with all NSS 8 and NSS 12 units.

Hanse 325 'One Life'
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2019 at 08:03
I am struggling to unzip the file into a folder and save it to a micro SD. By unzipping I get a range if files with crypto names. Do I need them all ?
Frank
Nilandhoo View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nilandhoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2019 at 09:12
Hi Frank,

I did not need to unzip the file, just save it and copy it to a micro SD card.  I think previous upgrades have been zipped because they contained upgrades for NSO, NSE and NSS chart plotters, the link above is only for NSS units.
Here are the instructions from Simrad:

Downloading the upgrade file
1. Select Downloads and Software updates. Select the relevant product and click DOWNLOAD UPGRADE.
2. Depending on your computer’s security settings, a security warning may appear.
3. Click Allow to continue.
4. If asked to SAVE or RUN select SAVE and save to your hard drive.
5. Choose or create a folder on your hard drive to save the file to.
6. The file is typically 70-100 MB in size and can take a long time to download on some internet
connections. For example, estimated download time for dialup 56K modems is 3-4 hrs hours,
DSL and some cable internet is 10-15 minutes, and high-speed cable internet is 1-2 minutes.
7. This same update can be used only for the MFD it is intended. e.g. NSE, NSS or NSO.
Note: Some browsers, such as Firefox, may change the file extension. Please make sure the file name
and extension are are not changed.
The file name should be for example: NSx-y.y.zz.zz-standard-3.upd (x = NSO, NSE or NSS) (y.y =
main version number such as 3.0, zz.zzz= Build number)
Do not rename the file or change the file extension.

Once the file has been downloaded and saved to your hard drive, you will need to copy the file to either a micro SD Card.

The file name is: NSS-3.0-46.2.24-28289-r2-Standard-2.upd
Hanse 325 'One Life'
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2019 at 09:39
THX Paul!
Frank
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2019 at 12:01
Hi Paul,
the .upd file I have now downloaded has only 68`230 kB. Is this correct ?

BR

Frank
Nilandhoo View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nilandhoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2019 at 12:34
Hi Frank,

That is the same size as the file that I downloaded.
I have not installed the upgrade yet but reports from the other forum both provided the original Simrad link and reported that it fixed the problem.

BR

Paul
Hanse 325 'One Life'
High Time View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2019 at 16:47
Hi

I updated the firmware with the Jan19 edition last week and everything worked as expected yesterday on a trip to Cowes. Today, however, as we left Cowes, the NSS8 reported No Fix. Rebooting did not resolve the problem. The GPS is still visible on the network and can report the number of satellites in view - it just doesn't get a fix.

Apparently there was a GPS rollover last night. I guess this could be the reason but surely the Jan19 software should have covered this.

Has anyone else had the No Fix problem?

Edited by High Time - 07 April 2019 at 16:47
Roger

High Time (415 #038)
Nilandhoo View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nilandhoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2019 at 18:08
Hi Roger,

I have not carried out the update yet but there was a GPS week number rollover last night.
Like you I would expect the Jan 19 update to fix the rollover week problem. I have checked the other forum to see if anyone else is reporting the problem the the NSS units but there are no reports so far.  It could be that its too early for others to report but I will keep a watch out in case they do.

Is the date on the satellites page correct?

Paul
Hanse 325 'One Life'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>