myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 371
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sail drive seal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sail drive seal
    Posted: 08 April 2019 at 09:55
Hi Guys,
Anyone here changed their sail drive seal, planning to do mine next week and wondering if there are any tips / tricks that could be shared Smile .

Thanks

B.
StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2019 at 22:20
I would suggest that unless you have an issue leave well enough alone. Just call your insurance company inform them you are not changing it at the documented 7 years and if that results in small premium increase it will be cheap in the grand scheme of things.

A fellow Hanse 400 owner with boat same age as mine (now 9 years old) changed his seal last year, it looked like the day it was installed, the exercise cost him a small fortune and lots of scratches and damage to his furniture from engine move.

When i last hauled out 2 months ago a 25 year old vessel was doing his seal for first time, it looked in excellent condition and didn't need doing.

This is another way for Yanmar/Volvo and the industry to make money of we boat owners. If you have a water sensor between the 2 boots check this annually to ensure its working. Personally i will consider doing mine closer to 20 years than 7.
Stephen
2010 H400 #691, Auckland, New Zealand
Mark_J1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark_J1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2019 at 22:34
Take a look at this thread https://www.myhanse.com/saildrive-gaiter_topic10673.html for some useful photos and advice not to do it unless you must.

If you really have to change it then one thing I would be prepared for that is not in the service manual is that the hole in your hull may be too narrow to pull the drive up through it.  On our 400e the drive had to be split.  

Mark

Hanse 400e "Grey Goose" Hull #31
lukemi View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lukemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 17:07
I had mine replaced last year after 11 years. The seals looked fine with no problems and would have lasted many more years. The ONLY reason I replaced the seals was because my saildrive needed to be replaced. I had the local marina do the job. The installer said it was not that difficult. He unbolted everything and moved the engine slightly toward the bow of the boat. The seals were replace and everything put back in place.

Mike
StellaMaris 370e
BAJJ View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 18:29
Thanks guys, yes there is a lot of information regarding the fact that it doesn't need to be done but mine is 18 years old so I think I have waited long enough Wink, although I inspect it regularly and it still looks in good condition. The 2001 hanse has a Volvo penta without a water sensor and the hole on the outside is big enough to get the drive through from inside the boat. I plan to do around the 18th so will update how I get on.
B
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 19:36
I have replaced mine twice now at each 7 year cycle. I see not sense in prompting fate for a couple of hundred £'s of parts. I did the second one last year. I did it all totally on my own apart from assistance getting it back up onto the boat from the ground as I felt unable to balance it on my shoulder on a ladder. I lowered it to the ground on my own though.I did get it through the hatch & into place single handed. I had to tilt it when in the hole by putting a strap around the keel as I had no one to tilt it for me. So that bit was awkward.
I changed the shaft seals at the same time this time as I had not changed them for 6 years so thought it worth while as the unit was on my bench at home.
Took me a couple of days but not surprising as I had no help.
The first time i did it my son helped with the lifting & lining up, but I did the rest myself once the first bolts were engaged etc.
It was a Volvo 120 saildrive on a 311 Hanse.
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Sea-U View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sea-U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2019 at 08:20
I changed on my previous boat when is was 15 years old. Volvo 2002, 120 saildrive.
My Hanse 370e is now 11 years old. Yanmar 3YM30. 
I think I'll change before it is 20 years ... perhaps :-)

What I mean with this is that when you have had saildrive for many years... you stop worrying about the membrane.

Edited by Sea-U - 10 April 2019 at 08:26
Sea-U is a 370e #532 located SW Norway
BAJJ View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2019 at 13:11
Thanks all, for anyone interested there is a good movie on youtube where it shows some of the challenges, a useful hint is tying back to the keel to support the saildrive when reconnecting the engine (thanks also Samuel), link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Bv7_tAOY4
I think that the guy does a good job but, in my opinion, is a little rough so I will hopefully be a little more gentle and a bit more careful regarding cleanliness during the process but you never know.
B
BAJJ View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 09:17
well,

I managed to have a fall and damage my right shoulder so the sail drive seal will have to wait until the end of the season...... Looks ok though so i am sure it will be fine.
B
Old Racer View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Old Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 11:57
I own a 320 and have recently had to consider this as I had an alarm that indicated water ingress through this seal. I also had shortly before a leaking pump which emptied a full fresh water tank into the bilges.

As things stand just now it is good news. The sensor was a bit loose and there was a small amaount of water it the compartment. That water was syphoned off the engine ran in both forward and reverse. No alarm and after running the hole was tested with a tissue and no water present. It was further tested after two days and no water ingress detected. There was evidence in the and around the gearbox that water had been present which looks like it was the water from the fresh water tank.

The other interesting thing was the enginer says he changes the seals at owners requests and has never taken one out he would not use in his own engine. He states that the only damaged ones have been when the engine has gone through trauma. This lines up with many of the statements on this post.
Hanse 320 Olicana Inverkip Scotland
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>