myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 415/418
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine start

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine start
    Posted: 25 April 2019 at 09:52
Hi all - looking for some advice.
I'm not sure if this is another version of the Unlucky Captain MDI issue, or a new one.

Three times now, I have had a heart stopping moment: I turn on the engine controls, and it pre-heats as normal giving me the beep. But when I press the start button, all power to the control unit is immediately lost, as if I hit the off button.

Of course one immediately assumes that the battery must be dead, or a fuse blown, but each time, if a I go back a few minutes later and just start again, turning the unit on in the normal way, it all works just fine and starts the engine without issue.

Clearly this is much better than not being able to start the engine, but it's unnerving, and I don't want to just ignore it in case one day it won't reset itself.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Suggestions as to what it might be? Suggestions to stop it happening?

Many thanks!
Konstantin View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Konstantin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2019 at 10:38
Hi Simon, you may want to check this post from High Time - he eventually solved the problem locating the bad connection.
Simon L View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2019 at 10:41
Many thanks Konstantin - I see that I even replied in that thread!
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Konstantin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2019 at 10:49
You may also want to check if you MDI is in the recall campaign:

From VP service bulletin:
Mechanical Diesel Interface (MDI) might not work as intended due to multiple intermittent failure modes. MDI failure occurs unexpectedly and might cause inability to start, sudden engine stop, display issues, etc. 

Concerned products Part No on Product 
D2-50F 40869671 
D2-55F 869647

Serial number range 
5102029462A to 5103958665A
5102030619B to 5103987464B
5102033076C to 5103999917C
5102160530Y to 5102160692Y

NOTICE! Not all engines within the serial number range are affected. Before starting any work, check the engine serial number in Product Center to determine if the engine is affected by this or any other campaign.
Simon L View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2019 at 10:52
I have a D2-40, so from the above I presume there is no recall??

I'll check the part number anyway - I guess it's likely to be the same part on many engine types.
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Konstantin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2019 at 11:15
Oh, good you asked! I posted an extract assuming you have D2-55 or 50, my fault. Here is complete bulletin. D2-40 mentioned in it. I have D2-75 but my MDI's serial number is not in the recall range.
Simon L View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2019 at 17:49
Konstantin - very much appreciate your input - thank you.
Simon
J&J View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 22:26
FYI I carry a spare MDI and have also fitted the push button starter modification that other posts have shown in this forum , ironically I havnt had to use either since we tracked our problem down to a faulty temp sensor on the motor - you can check if its this by detaching the sender wire
 Post Reply Post Reply