myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 415/418
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solar panels on hatch garage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bluesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2020 at 08:28
Matt,  my main reason for not doing so would just be the length of exposed cable on the coachroof, but if you can come up with a solution for that then why not.  You would probably want to put a cable joint in Under the roof panel, just in case to want to unstep the mast.
Mr Blue Sky - 385 #359 - Sail safe sail Hanse.
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2020 at 08:35
I installed mine without having to drill any holes through the deck and without any exposed cables.  I would certainly not want cables running over the deck which, apart from being aesthetically awkward, could be a trip hazard or could become damaged.
With solar you will want to minimize cable length and given the battery position, it made sense to me to find a way of getting the cable between the deck and the liner via the companionway.
I removed the hatch cover and went in sideways in an area usually covered by the sprayhood.  The cables are totally invisible once the hatch cover is replaced.  There are pictures of my installation earlier in this thread. 

Edited by S&J - 28 October 2020 at 08:37
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
Sportswagoneer View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sportswagoneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2020 at 08:47
Hi Matt.

In my case it was simply a long stretch from the swan neck to the panel. Also I needed both a cable to the garage AND a cable to an Anderson contact for use with a mobile panel. I wanted to shelter this contact from the spray and thus placed it under the spray hood. 
The most difficult part of the cable routing in my 400 was getting the cables up into the ceiling from the battery compartment. The existing cable routing was very tight. Once in the ceiling, routing through the head and up inside the spray hood was easy. 

Edited by Sportswagoneer - 28 October 2020 at 08:48
2010 Hanse 400 #700 “Neste Sommer”
cgabay View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgabay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2020 at 19:33
SY LUCIA
H418 #35
cgabay View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgabay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2020 at 19:37
These are custom Solbians that we have. 342w in total. 114 in the middle and 114 each side. We always have some shadow at least over one of them. Still happy with the production.
SY LUCIA
H418 #35
mattplowman View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattplowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2020 at 19:39
Thank you for the responses , very helpful.
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2020 at 19:48
I like the custom Solbian.  I am interested in how you go about ordering these and also how you have them wired to your controller(s).
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
cgabay View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgabay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2020 at 19:55
Turkish distributor created template on the boat carried the template to the Cad drawing and sent it To solbian engineers. I collected some pictures about shadows in different directions and at different hours. They simulated at their side and decided on placement of bypass diodes and cell groups. We have decided to go single panel in the middle with victron 75/10 and other panels in serial connected to a 100/20 victron mppt. 
SY LUCIA
H418 #35
cgabay View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgabay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2020 at 19:59
Turkish Solbian distributor is yes enerji.
SY LUCIA
H418 #35
Schnupfel View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schnupfel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2020 at 20:42
Hi,
Chris from the Sailing Aurora Channel did a video on this.
Good luck!
H418 #121 KAPLA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>