myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 415/418
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Passage Planning speeds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Passage Planning speeds
    Posted: 15 May 2019 at 06:52
Hi

I realise it's like asking how long is a piece of string, with a huge number of variables, but what are fellow 415/418 owners using by way of a passage planning speed?

1) Under power
2) Under sail

Thanks

Matt

415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 10:45
Hi, as you say how long is a piece of string! For longer passages when we want to get somewhere reasonably quickly we work on 7 knots, but in SE Asia that can involve quite a lot of motor sailing. 
On a 560 nautical mile trip from Singapore to Phuket we averaged 7.3 knots with first two days motor sailing and last two sailing in a good 15-20 knot breeze. Even in the lightest wind the main will help both steady the boat and the speed. If it works use the jib or even gennaker. 
We have found 7 knots under engine to be reasonably economical on the fuel. 
All the best
Paul
Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
High Time View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 11:35
Hi Matt

For cross channel and northern France passages I use 6 knots for sailing cross tide or 7/8 if down tide, especially in CIs and northern France. I usually beat the 6 knot plan, but better to be early for a gate/lock than too late! 'Conservative' passage planning avoids hard motoring to reach a destination on time

For motor sailing, I agree that 7 knots is good.
Roger

High Time (415 #038)
Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 12:16
Thanks everyone - very useful

Matt
High Time View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 14:26
No problem.

BTW - it's helpful (and interesting) to others if you include a couple of details about your boat after your signature. See the examples above from Paul and myself if you're not sure what to include.

Thanks

Roger
Roger

High Time (415 #038)
Simon L View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 19:28
What revs do people motor at (I have the 40hp engine, so I guess I'm asking people with the same engine). I don't think I motor at the speeds some are suggesting here - perhaps 6 knots.

I passage plan at 6.3, and usually that comes out about right, with a mix of sailing, m/s and motoring. Generally push around at 2,500 revs, up at 3,000 if I'm trying to beat a tidal gate.
Mark_J1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_J1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 22:47
On a Yanmar 3JH4E 39hp and a featherstreeam prop: 1800 rpm for optimum fuel burn v speed.  2400 rpm when against tide and wind and late for the lock (& pub!).  2800 rpm on the run to the fuel berth to clear the cobwebs from the engine.

My passage planning (on a 400e) assumes 5kts +/- tidal stream.  We often beat that by a mile, but it allows for contingency and a the choice to sail or motor.    

Worth mentioning that rev's v speed depends on lot on the choice of prop (& it's settings) and the amount of cruising gear onboard.  

Mark
Hanse 400e "Grey Goose" Hull #31
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 01:09
I am running my D1-30 at 2200 rpm, this is the most economical fuel burn according the Volvo diagrams.
Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply