myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 461 / 470
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cooker safety/crash bar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Richard M View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cooker safety/crash bar
    Posted: 27 July 2020 at 10:39
Thanks Stephen!
Richard M

(S/Y BrightStar - H 455 #90; ex S/Y Providence - H 400e #290)
StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 10:37
Hi Richard,

Just measured stove well width and had local stainless guy weld it up, side plates are 5mm thick stainless, holes are 6mm countersunk.
Stephen
2010 H400 #691, Auckland, New Zealand
Richard M View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 10:31
Hi Paul

Indeed looks very good.

Can you say where you purchased the handle? I'm keen to make the same modification - albeit on a H455 so I'll need to double check the dimensions.

Many thanks & best wishes

Richard 
Richard M

(S/Y BrightStar - H 455 #90; ex S/Y Providence - H 400e #290)
StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2020 at 22:42
I also made a crash bar from 20mm stainless tube and 5mm thick side plates for my 400 which bolts to the side of the stove well. This allows two 6mm mounting bolts in the direction you are likely to apply load to the bar and has no impact on the bench top, trim or stove cover.

I am not a fan of belts or being retained to cooking area as you cant get away quickly if needed, biggest risk in my experience is falling toward the cooker and grabbing hot pot or element and burning yourself by sending boiling water or food flying.

Edited by StavrosNZ - 27 July 2020 at 01:52
Stephen
2010 H400 #691, Auckland, New Zealand
Idratherbesailing View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idratherbesailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 17:34
Thanks Paul, a simple effective solution. I think these days it would be required on a new build. 
gpw
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idratherbesailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2020 at 14:30
No pipe bending involved.  It was an off the shelf grab handle in brushed steel designed for bathrooms really, it has concealed screw fittings which have enabled a very strong fixing. 
gpw
JonB View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2020 at 22:11
Nice piece of pipe bending, is that brushed aluminium ?

Did you drill and chemically fix the studs too?
Jon B
470e
http://www.norse-king.blogspot.co.uk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idratherbesailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2020 at 11:44
Remiss of me not to post the end result, which very happy with. 
Thanks for the advice and input.
gpw
JonB View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 21:32

As promised picture from the galley this morning.

I drilled holes into the worktop and chemically bonded the screws and the back of the brackets to the worktop.  An adult can lean back into the strap and remain in that position in a lumpy sea state.  Hope this helps
Jon B
470e
JonB View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 08:03
Peter,

I've a softer approach and will take some pics when I go back to NK today
Jon B
470e
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>