myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 300 / 301
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leak, I think from the toe rail bolts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leak, I think from the toe rail bolts
    Posted: 22 May 2019 at 11:00
Dampness on my last trip a few weeks ago was spreading down the wood panel on the port side of the forward cabin, up near the anchor locker..
I put my hand up and around the side of the port ceiling panel, and felt drips of water on the bolts.. I undid the screws holding the left ceiling panel on, hoping to slid it out, so I could get at the toe rail bolts on the inside..but alas the ceiling panel would not slide out.. 
Question - Do I need to take the centre panel out , it means cutting seal around the hatch, or do all three panels need to come out..?

Hanse 301, tiller steering, Volvo 2010 (10hp)
Sea-U View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sea-U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 13:29
Perhaps you should try and undo the bolt from upper side only.
As I understand there are no nuts.
Sea-U is a 370e #532 located SW Norway
holby View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 15:43
Ah right, I just assumed there were nuts on the inside.. 👍
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 16:23
If I remember it right from a long time ago, on my 341 from 2003, the bolts go into a 3 cm square thin plate, which I assume has some form of thread in it, as otherwise how would they tighten the bolts up..
Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 17:00
Hi David,
it could be that the fixation resulted in a "cold bridge". If it is cold outside and warmer humid air inside you might get some drips on from the metal plate.

Good Luck
Frank

Frank
Richard M View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 00:46
Hello David

I don't know about the set up of navigation lights on your H301. However I had a similar problem on my H400e. I found that seawater was being forced into the holes where the 12v wires to the lights exit in the pulpit stanchions (ie on which the navigation lights were fixed). An application of silicone sealant sorted the problem immediately - no more trickles down the wood panelling in heavy seas/spray etc. A very easy fix. It may be worth considering this before starting any "major surgery". 

Good luck & best wishes

Richard

Richard M

(S/Y BrightStar - H 455 #90; ex S/Y Providence - H 400e #290)
Taylor View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2019 at 15:37
David

We have had  a similar problem on our 301. 

The most likely offender is the seal of the port side rear pulpit leg. It has leaked a lot in the past on our boat.  Make sure this is well sealed.  One little nut and it can be lifted use a very flexible sealant. 

It could possibly be the sealing of the bow cleat if this has been subject to some energetic tugging on a mooring. 
Also Check that the drain for the anchor locker is kept clear.  Ours was filling up and a small leak occurred into the bow via the conduit for the navigation light as the cable comes out in the anchor locker on the port side. 
It is highly unlikely to be the toe rail bolts or the seal between deck and hull unless you have bumped it very hard at some time at that point. 

There is no need to remove any linings to get access.... If you do want to the way to remove them is to cut sealant around  escape hatch and unscrew all self tappers on centre one and remove this. Then you can remove the port side one to gain a better view of the area you are concerned about. The starboard side needs the water fill pipe dropping off the deck filler before it can be removed.

I did all this over winter and filled all the voids behind the  panels with aluminium bubble foil insulation stuck to the deck head and to the panels. I want to insulate the hull sides now as we get bad condensation on the wood veneer especially with cold water on the outside. 

Steve
Hanse 301 Bluenote 11
Taylor View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2019 at 15:38
No nuts on toe rail screws just on Pulpit and bow cleat from memory.
Hanse 301 Bluenote 11
Taylor View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2019 at 15:40
Defo no nuts on toe rail screws they self tap into hull flange.
Hanse 301 Bluenote 11
holby View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2019 at 20:50
Thanks guys I released the screws in the toe rail in the area of the leaks just to relax the toerail, and with a power gun, squeezed sikaflex under the toe rail in the affected area and then just did up the screw, and finished of with a large driver to get some torque on he screws and since then it has poured with rain and I completed a 12 hour sail with two reefs in the main and a partly furled jib, water was coming over the toe rail and there was no sign of any further leaks..  
thanks again guys, much appreciated..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>