myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 385/388
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bow protection plate, furling mast issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mejlvang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2019 at 15:50
Hi Samuel,
Thank you for your reply, I will try starting with the 25% tension Smile
N B J S
kipwrite View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipwrite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 01:50
I take my time weighing anchor on my 505  and haven’t touched the bow with the standard Delta anchor in several years. Speed is not your friend with the last 10’ of rode.  It was a learning curve year one, however, with a few gouges, long since repaired. 
Kipwrite
Mr Bluesky View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bluesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 18:51
Hi Jesper,

Congrats on a great choice of boat.

Personally I use a modern anchor with a swivel, which although slightly heavier than the original and still would hit the bow, I simply use a boat hook to steady the anchor as it comes clear of the water up to the bow roller.  Very easy operation and not once come close to hitting, and much nicer than mounting SS or rubber fender.  Happy sailing.
Mr Blue Sky - 385 #359 - Sail safe sail Hanse.
Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2019 at 00:52
Plumb bows have this issue with the anchor.   Actually not just the anchor but a mooring bridle will cause the same problems.     Here is what I did.   Cost about US$2K to fabricate and install, but that's on a 575.   The cost varies with the thickness of the metal (I used 4mm, but you could use something less) and the size/wrap around.

Pictures without and with the plate.   Works well.

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
Ratbasher View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratbasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2019 at 10:14
As with anything on a boat, you adapt it according to the type of conditions you regularly sail in and the crew you normally carry. I've no doubt that S/S protectors look very nice and I appreciate how others manage the anchor with boathooks, raising it slowly, etc. If you will never anchor solo or weigh in bumpy conditions then bow protection won't be too much of an issue anyway. However, I often sail on my own or just with the missus, sometimes in wilder places and conditions where a game of 'catch the anchor' can keep you amused for a long time.

Its always interesting to read about what others do and why they do it. There's never a 'right' answer; only different ways that may be right at that particular time or for that particular boat and crew.
H400 (2008) 'Wight Leopard', Gosport UK
Ratbasher View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratbasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2019 at 07:32
As an 'interesting' illustration of the need for protection both up and across the bow when recovering the anchor in bouncy conditions, this is what happened to a neighbour last week in the UK. Despite the best efforts of two experienced crew in the pulpit they were unable to control the anchor; if the bow had been as straight as a Hanse's the damage would likely have been worse. Not an issue if you're never going to be in these conditions but sometimes, especially when wild cruising, you've no choice or a katabatic wind catches you by surprise.

Better to be prepared unless your anchoring is for lunch-stops only.

H400 (2008) 'Wight Leopard', Gosport UK
Mark&Catherine View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2019 at 08:56
we use a boy fender as well.  I’ve seen lots of ‘permanent’ stainless solutions that are dented and scratched, the anchor will always win over the stainless, but it bounces off the fender.  
385 ubulukutu sail number GBR 3350L in Turkey and Greece with Mark and Catherine
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12