myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 415/418
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Simrad wind display

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simrad wind display
    Posted: 30 June 2019 at 10:40
Time display fixed with update -r4. 

A further problem now is the wind display..... Simrad IS20  apparent wind direction and speed works perfectly but I have no true wind direction or speed......strange.
Can anyone help please ?

Lee
FTK View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FTK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2019 at 22:23
Hi Lee,

Until today I struggled with the same problem, but I found a solution! if I turn on the autopilot (AP24) the wind display shows the true wind speed and direction. It was great to get to know this Smile

I hope it helps to you as well!
320 #145
lee View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2019 at 23:25
Thanks for that but we always have autoPilot on.

At one time the display was also showing port and starboard switched but that corrected itself.

What I find very strange is having No wind speed or direction when in dock but all apparents work when sailing.

Cheers, lee 

Muriel View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muriel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2019 at 00:33
I had the same thing happen yesterday on my B&G on our 418 just after I turned on the VHF as we went out to sea and flicked to AIS screen. How strange.  Apparent fine but no True readings. I flicked between screens trying to sort it out and suddenly it re-appeared.  I’m not sure what combination of button pushing triggered it off or the correction but I did also go through the Autopilot screen.

When back at the dock and connected to the internet, I did get a software update message and so downloaded it.  I haven't used instruments since then so don't have anything positive nor negative to report.

Very strange indeed.
Godfather68 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godfather68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2019 at 13:49
Hanse 418 New in March 18

Looks like we lost our Masthead unit too!

Was working fine until yesterday and then it appears to have disappeared from the network.

The dealer we use, said that the 508 unit has had a lot of issues and he suspects ours has died.  He will be going up the mast to take a closer look in the next week or two.

jeb View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2019 at 17:39
to be able to have true wind you need to have a working speed on the network (and not SOG). I have my speed sensor (old style with pulses, not a nmea2000 sensor) connected to my nss7 plotter. When I power up the plotter it shows speed -- if the boat is not moving. No true wind at this stage. Once moving it detects speed and true starts to work. This behavior is logical, if there are no pulses the plotter don't understand there is a transducer connected. My system is a IS20 system with both dept and speed connected to the nss7 plotter.

Edited by jeb - 09 July 2019 at 17:41
Jesper
Hanse 400e
lee View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2019 at 23:30
Thanks Jeb.  Our speed log is indicating water speed.  True wind has always been shown previously even with the log out of the water.  Apparent wind speed requires the log speed for sure but true never has before.
I have tried every setting in the wind instrument as well as the auto pilot........everything works fine on all instruments except True Wind speed and Direction.......

Perplexed, lee

S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 06:55
Think about this.  The wind instrument can only measure the APPARENT wind speed/direction as the sensor is moving over the surface of the earth with the boat.
The TRUE wind can be calculated using either the boat speed or the SOG, usually configurable which is used.

If you were getting true wind with no log I suggest that you might have been using SOG to calculate true wind.

If you have now lost true wind, maybe the configuration has been switched to use boat speed and this is somehow not available?

@Muriel: I have also had spurious glitches on my NMEA 2K network if I start the plotter and then switch on the VHF later.  I sometimes lose the autopilot and more often lose the wind sensor.  This doesn't always happen and either corrects itself after a minute or so or can be corrected by switching navigation off and on at the master switchboard.

@Godfather68:I am interested that you are still getting issues with the 508.  These were very troublesome in 2014/15 and I had two replaced under warranty but my third has been fine since supplied in July 2016. I understand that the 508 has been discontinued and replaced by a 608 unit although I don't know what the difference is.

[Edit: I now see that the 608 is also discontinued and replaced by a 300 series which is available as wired or wireless.  This new unit avoids having an NMEA network cable running up the mast which has the dual benefit of shorter overall N2K cables and less complex electronicd at the mast head.]

Edited by S&J - 10 July 2019 at 07:29
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
 Post Reply Post Reply