myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 311 / 312 / 315
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Latest 3YMxx come with 120 A alternator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forth2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Latest 3YMxx come with 120 A alternator
    Posted: 18 July 2019 at 11:55
Just noticed that the latest 3YMxx models come with  a 120 Amp alternator.
https://www.yanmarmarine.com/theme/yanmarportal/uploadedFiles/Marine/productDownloads/Pleasure-datasheet/English/2017_datasheets/Yanmar-Datasheet_3YM20.pdf

I really would like to have my old 3YM20 upgraded with this new alternator.
It seems to a have wider grooved V-belt to drive it.
Has anyone seen any upgrade kits ?

Does anyone have experience with this new alternator ?
What is the real output with the standard regulator ?

Mike
H315#423 - S/Y Forth

Edited by Forth2 - 18 July 2019 at 11:56
350Bob View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 350Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2019 at 14:29
I am not sure that we would get much benefit from a 120 amp alternator on our 3YM20. We have an 85 amp hr starter battery and 2x100 service batteries, with the 60 amp alternator it is only working at full output for a short period before the regulator starts to limit it.
Forth2 View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forth2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2019 at 16:33
I have installed a LiFePo4 service battery which can accept charge faster than lead batteries.
It is made up of four Winston 100 Ah 3V cells.

There is an advantage with faster charging, since the optimal storage level of LiFePo4 batteries is half charged.

That's why I am interested in the stock regulator performance of the 120 A alternator.

Also something seems to be wrong with my 60 A alternator. In the beginning of the charge cycle it used to give out 50+ amps to an empty battery. Now it just gives out less than 30 amps to an empty battery. Like half of it would be broken.

Mike

Edited by Forth2 - 18 July 2019 at 19:54
350Bob View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 350Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2019 at 16:37
Hi Mike,

Well yes that would make all the difference, sorry to confuse the issue.

Bob
StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2019 at 21:35
Hi Mike, use search function you will find a few alternator upgrade posts including one from me installing 140 amp unit and serpentine belt pulleys and kit on my 400.
Stephen
2010 H400 #691, Auckland, New Zealand
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2019 at 12:40
Another option to speeding up the charging regime is to put on a Sterling Alternator to Battery Regulator. 

Because of some incorrect wiring diagrams, I made a meal of it, but I detailed the full process here.

I have had no problems since I installed 5 years ago.
Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
Forth2 View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forth2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2020 at 17:44
Got my Yanmar 125 ampere alternator upgrade kit today.

It was readily available from the Yanmar distributor in Finland.
It comes with new grooved pulleys and a wider belt.

Looking forward to install it soon.

Mike
StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2020 at 20:01
Nice work, i guess Yanmar simply purchase the kit from Bamar or Electromaxx and have it rebranded, would be interested what price did they charge you for the kit?

make sure your regulator is up to the additional charge and also that your voltage sensitive reply that splits the battery bank can take the additional load.
Stephen
Forth2 View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forth2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2020 at 20:56
Looks like it consists of 3YM spare parts. The new 3YMs come with a 125 amp alternator. Price including tax was 700 €.
StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2020 at 21:08
Pricing seems about right but as stated check your regulator is ok and set for additional amps and VSR replay can handle the additional load.

Stephen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>