myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heating Options?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jstock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heating Options?
    Posted: 19 July 2019 at 01:52
Hello All,

I'm about done with finalizing last minute options on a 2020 Hanse 458 and this forum has given great advice thus far.

I live part time in southern california and plan to sail to various locations on the US west coast as well as down to Mexico and Cost Rica next spring. 

I know Hanse offers both a diesel heating option and an A/C option for its yachts.  As i'll be ordering a generator and the A/C option, is there any reason to order the diesel heater as well?  To me it seems a bit redundant but not sure if i'm missing something given the A/C is is reverse cycle and can pump out heat down to a water temp of about 40 degrees farenheit.

i know with shore power it makes it easy and with the genny I can keep the heat coming but does anyone have a different opinion?  perhaps someone who ordered and uses both diesel heat and the reverse cycle A/C?

Before i even consider an extra $10,000 for something, i want to make sure it's useful.

Cheers.
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2019 at 07:58
Jstock,

I think you will find that you can not have air Cond and the heating option because both systems use the same ducting spaces. If you look at the specification it will probably indicate you can't have the Air cond option with the heating option - one or the other not both. If you need air cond for the warmer climates then go for that option. 
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
sflier View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sflier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2019 at 11:22
I ordered both on our 385 and highly recommend.it.  Diesel heat is quite, efficient, powerful and heats quickly.  It has it's own ducting.  Reverse cycle heat won't produce as much heat but is fine in very confined places where you may not want to run the diesel heat.  I use the diesel heat 99 percent of the times that i need heat.
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2019 at 11:56
Jstock,

Check with the specification and with your dealer. It clearly states one or the other system not both as a factory option. This was the same with our 575. On some models it may be possible to have both but not on the 458 according to the spec- NO. I agree the diesel heating is great if you need heating but if you need air cond - go for the air cond system
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
jstock View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jstock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2019 at 14:35
Ah got it.  This is great feedback....  I’ll make sure that I ask today about both options.  Seems like it may not even be possible but I will find out and update the forum.
jstock View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jstock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 00:01
All,

I just received confirmation on that the 458 in 2020 and 2019 does indeed allow you to get a diesel heater (either hot water ring or air) in addition to the reverse cycle A/C at the same time...so you can indeed order both on the boat.  Perhaps in the past you couldnt do that but it definitely is possible today.

Let me know if anyone has any further thoughts on ordering both as i'm leaning to just getting the reverse cycle A/C and being done with it, especially as i am also getting a generator.
 Post Reply Post Reply