myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 320
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please encourage me to buy a 320

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Nilandhoo View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nilandhoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please encourage me to buy a 320
    Posted: 05 August 2019 at 08:15
Our boom only has 3 pulleys so with three reefs we decided to fix the outhaul to the boom end plate.  Over time the original aluminum end plate deformed causing friction on the reefing lines and making difficult to raise the main and reef the sail.

We had a new boom end plate made out of stainless steel.  The new end plate was longer than the original with a fixed D ring for the topping lift and outhaul.  We currently have the outhaul tied off but the new end plate gives us the option to have an adjustable outhaul on the outside of the boom.

The new end plate is held in place using the original bolt and a new U bolt which goes around the sheath block at the end of the boom.

Paul

Edited by Nilandhoo - 05 August 2019 at 08:18
Hanse 325 'One Life'
cptgood View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cptgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2019 at 10:42
The behaviour in rough sea changes enormously when the water tank is empty. When it's full you have 200 kg plus anchor and chain at the bow!
I was thinking about moving the tank in the starboard side, underneath the couch where a locker (even difficult to manage because you have to dismantle the couch) is. 
Has anybody done that?

18 kts: first reef
25 kts. second reef
over 25: STjib reefing

Edited by cptgood - 02 August 2019 at 10:48
Hanse320 - Hull#127/08 - Wheel - ST headsail - Yanmar 3YM30 - SD20
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2019 at 20:29
Nobody has mentioned the advantages of the self-tacking jib.  I read a review in an Australian magazine about an earlier small Hanse and the comment was that his wife liked the yacht as there was none of this commotion when tacking, no flogging jib, pulling in of sheets etc.  When tacking, you just put the helm down and the yacht feels like you are roll-tacking a racing dinghy, as it just flips round and keeps going

Picking up on what Janni has said, you have to recognise that Hanses have big mainsails and apart from sailing downwind, the normal practice is to keep reefing the mainsail before you think about reefing the jib.  You can happily sail conservatively and reef early, as sometimes the yachts go quicker with a reef in, than with full sail. 

As an alternative to what Janni said look at how I rigged up a third reef and how I control the jib.

Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
pauld View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pauld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2019 at 21:05
That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks!
Janni View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2019 at 19:43
Originally posted by pauld pauld wrote:

Thank you, Jan. I'm not so much concerned that the 320 can withstand a blow and a rough seaway. I'm more so concerned about the anxiety of my wife, brought on by a tender or light-feeling vessel. We previously owned a Jeanneau with a similarly low ballast ratio, but in a shoal draft wing keel. It was very tender under sail and like a cork in seas over 2 feet.

The Hanse 320 is a quite heavy boat for its size. This has some pros - like a more "adult" behavior in the waves. It is not a nervous boat at all, but fun to steer due to the outstanding Jefa steering system. 
Jan
Hanse 320 #548 "SCHNEGGE"
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2019 at 16:38
This sounds like my shallow (1.3 m) draft Oceanis 321.  Great for drying harbour like my home port of Chichester and the canals from Bordeaux, but not so good for sailing stiffness.
It sounds like the 320 has a much deeper keel and rudder so should give an easier ride in stronger winds.  As I mentioned in my earlier post, sailing my 385 is a revelation.  Only wish I had upgraded sooner.
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
pauld View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pauld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2019 at 15:50
Thank you, Jan. I'm not so much concerned that the 320 can withstand a blow and a rough seaway. I'm more so concerned about the anxiety of my wife, brought on by a tender or light-feeling vessel. We previously owned a Jeanneau with a similarly low ballast ratio, but in a shoal draft wing keel. It was very tender under sail and like a cork in seas over 2 feet.
Janni View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2019 at 20:46
We are sailing a H320 since 2011. The boat is stiff, we have never faced a broach out. The Rudder blade has a draft of 1,65m - this helps a lot. The keel has got a bulb down to 1,85m, so the lever is quite ok. 
The boat can definately stand more wind than its crew. 
We would recommend to put reef one at a position between the Hanse reef 1 and reef 2 and to put the reef two to a position, where you normally find reef 3. 
This works pretty well with our boat. 
A traveller is very much appreciated, a kicker is a must. 
Than we have put another set of blocks to the aft stay - this powers the sails down pretty well. 
Jan

Edited by Janni - 24 July 2019 at 20:59
Hanse 320 #548 "SCHNEGGE"
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2019 at 09:48
My 385 has a similar ballast to weight ratio (approx 29-30%) yet has proved to be a very stiff boat.
My previous Beneteau Oceanis would frequently round up in gusts.  The 385 has never done so, and I sail her reasonably hard.  Hull form helps but I attribute the stiffness to the deep keel and, as you suggest, the position of the weight in the keel bulb.  I also feel the larger (easy to reef) main and self tacking jib also give better balance in stronger winds than a sailplan with a Genoa.
I am not familiar with the 320 and clearly a test sail in stronger winds would be ideal, but I wouldn't let statistical figures drive your buying decision too much.

Edited by S&J - 22 July 2019 at 10:31
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
Pieterman View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pieterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2019 at 09:08
I recommend you to do a test sail with the 320 you want to buy or with another 320 if not possible. Paying this amount of money if you're not 100% convinced is not a good idea, I think. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Sail that boat!

Edited by Pieterman - 22 July 2019 at 09:10
Pieterman
Hanse 315 (2007)
BEL7000
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>