myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Teak decks, cockpit seats and floor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Teak decks, cockpit seats and floor
    Posted: 24 July 2019 at 11:31
Hi, Night Train is now 5 and a half years old and the teak was beginning to show that it had been in the tropics for all that time. We have always been quite careful to clean the teak across the grain rather than along it, but even so. 
So we had the teak lightly sanded and it looks like new. The only minor problem being that in a few small areas the caulking has come out as per the attached photo. Has anyone come across this, because cit would seem that Hanse do not lay their teak decks plank by plank with full depth caulking between. But it would be useful to understand the make up of the decks
Many thanks for any thoughts in advance
Paul
Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2019 at 14:12
Paul,

Sika suggest caulking is a max of 7mm thick. We had 15mm thick teak decks on out last boat and the builder (per Sika instructions) laid a special foam cord in between the teak sticks before filling the joints with the caulking. Apparently the Sika caulking does not go off properly if it is too thick. 
I think you will find most teak decks on production boats are only about 7mm thick (some less) and most are laid the same way as Hanse does. Just reapply more caulking to the bear area and lightly sand flat. You may need to cut the groove a bit deeper before applying caulking.
The real thing with "thin" teak deck is NEVER CLEAN them with teak cleaners. These acid and alkaline products wear the teak away very quickly particularly where the teak has softer "growth rings"due to good growing years. Even cleaning across the grain still causes damage each cleaning cycle. Get used to the grey aged look of teak. If you want that new teak look you are just wearing the teak away with continued harsh cleaners and within a few more years you will need to replace the teak which is expensive. Of course sanding the teak also reduces the life of the deck.
If you have problems with mold in the teak from lots of rain and high humidity get some Wet & Forget  or Borocal and apply this once or twice a year. This will kill any mold and stop it growing again. Some people use Semco as a sealer which stops mold and provides a wear barrier and keeps a new teak look for longer. Semco needs recoating about every 6 months dependent on your usage of the boat. 
Best idea we had was not to get teak on our current boat- only in the cockpit where we could not have just non-slip. 
Just my 2 cents. 
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
grumpydatagit View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpydatagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2019 at 17:14
Paul,

I wasn't as lucky as you when I bought mine - the previous user had let it go a bit. My cockpit seats were a little bit worst for wear. I sanded them down as far as I dare to the original colour. The recommendation from the pro's in the yard was to use SEMCO Teak Sealer applied by rag. It is rapid to apply and rapid to dry - I do mine a few times a year and I haven't had to clean / sand it since. As one that does not like grey teak,  ( we are all diffrent ) it keeps it the natural colour of the teak.
David
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2019 at 18:29
David and Paul,  

We have a friend with a 14 year old 531 and their teak was a bit tired when they bought it about 4 years ago and they have used Semco and they think it's great. Sometimes Semco is hard to find and is a bit expensive, but hey, so is owning a boat. Not sure if Semco or Wet & Forget or Borocal will be easy to find in Singapore? Semco was originally only available in a yellowish colour which made the teak look a strange colour. But I see now they have a clear finish which looks good. I think they also have Semco available in several timber tints as well.  
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 01:22
I had teak decks on my last boat (the current 575 has Flexiteak).     In addition to brushing cross-grain, you need to have a fairly soft brush or you will still lose some puip from the wood and raise the grain.  Raising the grain then requires sanding, and the cycle begins..

I NEVER used SEMCO. People who used it ended up with decks that looked like peanut butter.   We used TEAK WONDER (available at Defender and other outlets) and it both looked great and lasted a long time.   It had a much higher percentage of tung oil, and I found that mattered in creating a hard, long lasting finish.      A nice golden look to it.      Maybe SEMCO has changed, but I was happy with the results I got.  

Regarding the caulk,   there is a special tool for pulling the old caulk out.   As Wayne mentions,  you sometimes (depending upon the thickness of the teak) need to lay cord or something in the gap before the Sikalfex goes in. Its a messy, ugly, job but looks great once you pull all the tape off.

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
Ballistic View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ballistic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2019 at 01:24
These posts remind me of the old joke   '2 sailors scrubbing the decks     one says " wheres the soap? the other replies "yes doesnt it !      I have a 531 in Sydney Aus  Probably the harshest environment on the planet I purchased the yacht in 2004   new   . The decks are still great I believe the sanding every 3 years is a good idea but with a very fine paper    eg free-cut 180   The reason for sanding is not to bring back the color but to smooth down the raised Sika joints  The planks get hollowed a little on top and the Sika is then prone to pull out of the grooves with lateral pressure/ I agree you should just get to love the color of weathered teak.Do not over clean.  The Sika on these decks is only for appearance. It serves no purpose other than looking like proper laid decks of olde.  The decks on one of my previous yacht were proper laid decks  2inch thick and 3inch wide. The planks butt  join the bottom one third and are angled at deck level to form a V groove .  Caulking cotton is then hammered into the groove with a caulking iron and the pitch or Jefferies Marine Glue heated and poured into the grooves.  The modern decks do not need these features as they are laid on a bed of epoxy and are completely waterproof On the old trading ships they would put a couple of sheep on the deck to walk around and push the pitch into the grooves. I baulked at that technique with my 531.    Good luck     John      Ballistic  
Persephone View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Persephone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2019 at 04:05
Here's a photo of the teak in front of my spray hood where there's maximum sun exposure. Treated with Semco clear. Semco is, in my opinion, fantastic -- can hardly tell there's a finish at all, but it preserves a natural look. Doesn't look like peanut butter to me. 

On my powerboat, on the other hand, I once made the mistake of using Cetol -- now that did look like peanut butter.

Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2019 at 09:39
The original Semco had a yellow colour to it hence the "peanut butter" comments. I think now it is available in several colours including "clear".
Wayne W
Muriel View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muriel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2019 at 14:18
We took delivery of a new 418 in April.  Again, as per comments from Ballistic and Persephone, we have treated our cockpit floor, seats and swim platform with Semco Clear in one of the harshest climates.  It looks great.  We now have 5 coats and, at 20 mins max with a rag, I plan to apply another coat every couple of months over the upcoming summer for we Southern Hemisphere folk.  We get the natural almost original honey colour look without the fake “tinted” look and it's protected from grandchildren mistakes with food droppings and clumsy red wine drinkers.

Easy as all get out to apply and, if done regularly, I am expecting a long life of “original” look.
Koppiekrou View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koppiekrou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2019 at 17:49
Totally agree with all that is written about Semco. Look at my post on the forum 371 about teak. We use it only in spring and it will stay untill call.

Karma teak looks as new.

Edited by Koppiekrou - 26 July 2019 at 17:51
291 4Ever - 341 Eternal Flame and now a Hanse 371 '05 Karma - Shoal draft - 2 cabin - 40hp - Variprofile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>