myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Teak decks, cockpit seats and floor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2019 at 12:37
Hi Paul - somewhat tangentially on this subject.....

I agree 100% about using any proprietary teak cleaner. They are all too aggressive - and expensive. I was told by an experienced professional skipper that the "best thing" to use to clean teak was a slurry made up of dishwasher powder - brushed across - not along the grain with a soft brush. This worked reasonably well for a few years on my H400e until a yachting friend gave me a much better tip. Use a basic "Mould & Mildew Cleaner" purchased from a DIY store or builders' merchant. Check that it can be used on timber. Dilute as necessary and apply with a watering can through a fine spray rose. Leave for a while - I used to leave overnight - then rinsed off in the morning to avoid treading the stuff (obviously a biocide) around. Worked an absolute treat - got rid of the green sheen on the decks very easily with no removal of teak soft fibres. I'd strongly suggest a trial area first. 

I've effected a permanent solution now by having artificial teak on my current boat which I realise is cheating. Especially as I can just jet wash it with impunity - which is usually death to conventional teak. I still use the "Mould & Mildew Cleaner" (sorry can't remember the brand & its on the boat) applied by paint brush to avoid and overspray on my H455's rubbing strakes which are teak capped by stainless steel (installed for a Baltic trip) and it continues to do the job perfectly.

The "Mould & Mildew Cleaner" was very cheap to buy and a small bottle (0.5 l) lasted a long time.

Richard M

(S/Y BrightStar - H 455 #90; ex S/Y Providence - H 400e #290)
415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2019 at 06:20
Hi, thanks for all the advice, I have bought some Semco clear, as Wayne suggested, not cheap at US$ 190 for 4 litres! So far I have applied 2 coats and it looks good, no peanut butter or even Creosote effect which some of the other products have.
I will probably put another coat on soon, but will be interested to see how it lasts
Thanks again
Paul
Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2019 at 14:37
Hi, a quick update, was back to the boat today after applying 2 coats, looks very good now it is all completely dry. What I hadn’t realised is that it would be totally water resistant, which is fine. Less good is that it is quite slippery, has anyone else noticed this and if so how long does it remain slippery?
All the best
Paul
grumpydatagit View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpydatagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2019 at 15:00
The trick is to apply it sparingly many times using a cloth rag to apply it. You just need enough on the cloth to rub it in hard so it pushes it into the grain. Then a light rub over to remove any excess.
Red Leader View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Leader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2020 at 16:34
I would like to re-ask the original question posted

I have a 2003 Hanse 411 and I have exactly the same issue - I was about to embark on a strip out of old caulking and re-caulk BUT as the OP alludes to, the deck does not appear to be made from planking.  Is it milled from larger sheets of teak?

In some places the depth of the groove between "planks" is less than 1mm, in other places up to 4 mm

I had a good load of caulk, reefing hooks and all the necessary but now I am not sure how best to proceed 

Can anyone else advise on what to do and just how is this teak deck manufactured?
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2020 at 18:45
My teak decking was in June 7 years old.  Never oiled it and used soap or plastic cleaner once per year.
I was always astonished about the amount of dirt, when I rinsed it afterwards.
It looked grey and shabby:

Following the recommendations here in the forum, I succeeded to source Semco from Semco UK.
They have been very responsive ( even on weekends ) and very friendly.
I used the Semco chemical cleaner and brightener and the did a very light sanding with an 180 paper on orbital sander and my triangle Fein multimaster. The result looked like this:

Then I applied in April 2 times  cleartone SEMCO, which dries quickly within 1 hour at 16 deg C.
The result was fantastic and it still is after 4 months ( the boat is not covered exept a bimini ):

Frank
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2020 at 06:19
Hi Red leader, I think the areas of teak that come as standard, i.e. the cockpit floor, seats, rope and anchor lockers etc are installed as one large sheet as the caulking is only 1-2mm deep. I recently replaced some lifting caulking on the foredeck and this certainly went right through to the fibreglass below.
Where the planks are part of a larger piece, the caulking is merely decorative and I think the only solution is to carefully cut out some of the teak in the 'joint' so that there is sufficient depth to put in more caulking.
All the best
Paul
Red Leader View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Leader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2020 at 07:39
Thank you for that - it seems to be what I am discovering.....I will investigate how best to cut such a groove.

cheers, Kevin
Muriel View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muriel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2020 at 07:22
After a summer of bush fires dropping vast quantities of ash and red dust on our boat, followed by a number of heavy rain events and a period of COVID-19 lockdowns, our 18 month old teak was looking decidedly dirty and grey, despite 6 coats of Semco Cleartone in her early days and a couple of touch ups in Nov 19.  There were several areas showing tinges of green mould near the edges from all the fresh water.

So, after an hour of white vinegar GENTLE scrub with a soft tooth brush, a good sponge and wash with salt water and the application of 2 coats of Semco Cleartone by rag wiping the next morning when dry from heavy overnight dew, our teak looks almost like new again.

Note to self, have to clean and re-coat every couple of months.

Now I think I’ve earned my nice cup of coffee.

Richard M View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2020 at 08:30
Muriel’s teak looks superb. I’m also a fan of SEMCO having used it at home on garden furniture. Had I known about SEMCO when we specced our current H455 we may have opted for real teak decking again - rather than artificial teak - although the artificial teak has been good so far and being able to clean with a power washer is almost joyful. 

Coffee certainly well earned!
Richard M

(S/Y BrightStar - H 455 #90; ex S/Y Providence - H 400e #290)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>