myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 400
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Second water tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratbasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Second water tank
    Posted: 31 July 2019 at 07:03
Has anyone successfully installed an additional water tank? If so grateful for any lessons identified in the process.

Even with robust water-saving practices 300 ltrs of fresh isn't enough for extended cruising in warmer weather, particularly in remoter areas. I've been carrying another 40ltrs in containers but am thinking of plumbing in another tank. As the 400 has a natural list to port given the placing of batteries and existing water tank I'm thinking that midships to stb under the saloon seating might be the best place, running a pipe to the fresh water pump in the head and connecting it with a switchable T valve so I can select which tank to use. Am considering one of these flexible tanks that conforms to the available space, although a hard tank sited as far forward in the stb lazarette might also be an option.

Grateful for any thoughts on the process as well as any practical experiences. Of course, it may be better just to carry additional containers which can be sited anywhere to adjust the trim.
H400 (2008) 'Wight Leopard', Gosport UK
Rikard_Swe View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rikard_Swe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2019 at 10:25
Hi Im new here, but have been boating for 20 years. We just bought a Hanse 400. I agree with your thaughts about the small watertank. We also find the blackwatertank is too small. 
In Sweden it get harder and harder to fill water, when we had motorboat and added 800 L of diesel it was easier to get water aswell, now when we are sailing we dont use the same ammount of fuel - even harder to get water. 
we will be installing a watermaker instead of an additional watertank - so we can make our own water. 

Our idea is to remove the toilet and blackwatertank, replace it with a dry toilet (read alot about these, people are very satisfied).
In the cupboatd where the toilet tank was we will place a watermaker. 
With this installationplace the water can flow out in the toilet area if a gasket is burned on the watermaker. 
This solves both problems for us, easier toilet issue. No waterproblem. 

I will look at adding an extra 220v generator on our D2 engine to get 220v to the watermaker or adding a inverter for it. 

Ratbasher View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratbasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2019 at 08:11
Thanks Rikard, that's certainly a different solution. I looked at a watermaker but having spent so much on upgrading sails and systems the expense is beyond me for a while. I understand from other threads that some people have put a watermaker under the seats on the stb side, if that's useful to you.

Exchanging views about we've done or might do to our boats is incredibly helpful. Welcome to the site and I hope you'll continue to make such intersting posts.

H400 (2008) 'Wight Leopard', Gosport UK
Rikard_Swe View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rikard_Swe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2019 at 19:00
I checked the generator to fit on the main engine. The price for the generator excluding mounts and things is about 3000 Euro, so that is a no for me. For that price I can add more Lithium batteries and a big inverter. 

Post Reply Post Reply