myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 505/508
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Removing the deck covers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuyinDskyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing the deck covers
    Posted: 01 August 2019 at 21:33
I feel so stupid needing to ask this question but I'm baffled.   I broke my main halyard last weekend (was older and needed replacing) and it broke in such a way that when it sprung back the sail dropped and I had a lot of line wound around the winch.

I have the new line on board and the eye loop already spliced so once we moused a new line down the mast is should have been easy....   But I could not figure out how to remove the Port deck cover that covers the running rigging led aft.   I removed the dodger and its track, then I removed all the visible screws on the cover and included all the screws in the Jib track.  I ended up haveing a small spring snake and was able to feed the line that way but its obvious theat area needed cleaning and the blocks need oiling...

In the end it was loose up by the dodger but it was solidly held further forward.   I took out the ceiling panels below thinking they must have been held from within but that did not prove to be.   Any ideas or tips on what attachment points I'm missing to get these covers up?

Thanks as always for the collective thinking.  -Paco

415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2019 at 03:16
Hi, I think that you will find that Hanse used copious amounts of Sikaflex as well as screwing the covers down. There have been various posts here about this, but basically you need something long and thin to try and cut the sika and very gently pry the cover up. We used a long steel ruler as one person tried to pull the cover up with wooden wedges pushed in as the cover comes up. 
Might be worth an historic search on all the post here first, but this method worked for us
Good luck 
Paul
Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
GuyinDskyz View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuyinDskyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2019 at 22:25
wow, unthinkable that that would be the answer.....  baffles the mind really.

Can I ask,, what did you do when you reseated them?  Did you reglue them?

Thanks for the help.  I'll see if I can find the right threads on the forum.
415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2019 at 04:10
Hi yes we used Sikaflex again to bed the covers down, stop them from coming loose, vibrating etc. Just not quite as much as Hanse had originally used!!
Good luck 
Paul
Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
ohthetrees View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohthetrees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2020 at 19:33
I'm dealing with this same thing. My problem is the cover seems to be solidly bonded to the deck below at the aft of the two hand rails (forward handrail simply unscrews from above).  I can get some movement other places on the panel. Can someone confirm that the aft hand rail isn't screwed from below? To clarify, I know it must be screwed from below to the panel, because there are no visible fasteners, but I'm worried that it might also be screwed all the way from below the deck, and therefore be holding the panel in place. I can't check from below inside the cabin, because the "ceiling" appears to be one huge piece of fiberglass, and there are no access panels. I'd have to cut my way in to inspect the underside of the deck.  That would be dumb, but with production boats, they don't always think of maintainability. 
 Post Reply Post Reply