myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 341 / 342
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rudder pulling to One side

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cintra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rudder pulling to One side
    Posted: 14 August 2019 at 17:30
hi, I experience a small Problem Here with my 2006 Hanse 342: 

Since a Period of 2 weeks berthed in Port, suddenly the Helmstock tends to pull to port all the time. No grounding, no weed or other plants down below... all Looks Fine when Diving. 

The boat steers straight ahead with the Helm stock Right to center line, but I always have to prevent the helmstock from moving to the left. 

Both under sail and running on Engine. 

Any idea ?!

Hanse 388 LOUNA #173
Gregor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2019 at 08:16
When you dove did you also try moving the rudder to see if there’s any slack on the rudder stock or rudder bearings?
Uisge Beatha

Currently sailing Dehler 36 JV (2002)
Previous boat: Hanse 311 #80

http://www.uisge-beatha.eu
Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2019 at 08:34
By "helmstock" do you mean the tiller? If so, you might have the same problem that I have. The feel in my tiller changes with ever so little growth. It is due to the centre of effort is moved forward because of the friction the growth gives.

With a wheel you won't get this odd feel.

Johan
cintra View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cintra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2019 at 22:39
Yep, no slack in the bearings.
Hanse 388 LOUNA #173
cintra View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cintra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2019 at 22:43
Johann you mean the source of this asymmetric rudder balance Could be plants and fouling?

Hanse 388 LOUNA #173
Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2019 at 07:58
Yes, that's what I am saying. In my case the tiller wants to move away from either side of the centreline when the rudder is dirty. As I keep my boat in the water all year I get the most growth of slime in the spring and early summer so the first few sails of the season always give me a weird feel in the tiller.

I have confirmed my theory by taking down the sails i order to anchor, then swim with a brush and clean the rudder from top to bottom and then sail away again just half an our later - with a totally different rudder feel! (I can't do this too early in the season because of the water temperature!)

Johan

Edited by Johan Hackman - 26 August 2019 at 09:33
cintra View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cintra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2019 at 12:33
Originally posted by Johan Hackman Johan Hackman wrote:

Yes, that's what I am saying. In my case the tiller wants to move away from either side of the centreline when the rudder is dirty. As I keep my boat in the water all year I get the most growth of slime in the spring and early summer so the first few sails of the season always give me a weird feel in the tiller.

I have confirmed my theory by taking down the sails i order to anchor, then swim with a brush and clean the rudder from top to bottom and then sail away again just half an our later - with a totally different rudder feel! (I can't do this too early in the season because of the water temperature!)

Johan

I tried that just this weekend. No improvement after scrubbing the dirt off the rudder. 
Hanse 388 LOUNA #173
Crispin View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crispin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2019 at 17:48
Hi Cintra

Same happened to me. 

I found the port outer leading edge of the saildrive gasket had come unstuck.
Underway the helm went over on its own. I thought I had bent the rudder stock at anchor in shallow water so I had the boat quickly lifted and found about 10 cm of the rubber unglued. At speed it folded back and disturbed the water flow on the rudder.
Hope this helps.
Crispin

“Magic “ Deep Keel . Long rudder
Crispin

samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2019 at 07:16
Are you sure that the tiller has not slipped on the rudder stock, so is not sitting in line with the rudder giving the impression that you are not steering straight to start with.
As for turning when motoring- It will always do this due to propwash, so that is not necessarily a rudder issue
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
cintra View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cintra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2019 at 07:19
Tiller sits straight and points 100% forward / to centerline when going straight ahead. 
It is not a problem of the tiller being shifted, but constantly trying to break-out of the centerline to the left side. As long as you hold it fast in centerline direction, the boat points straight ahead. 

Hanse 388 LOUNA #173
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>