myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 400
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yanmar 3JH40CR SD60

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Manuel56 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yanmar 3JH40CR SD60
    Posted: 01 May 2022 at 21:48
Smile Thank you very much for your quick feed back.
Manuel
toholthe View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toholthe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 19:34
I did the update in 2019. No slippage and no maintenance since then apart from normal oil change. 

Edited by toholthe - 01 May 2022 at 19:36
Manuel56 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 17:16
Hello,
I have clutch problems on the SD50 setup on my boat. I read that you have upgraded with the Gideon kit and no issue for 5 years. Did you have any cone slippage and specific maintenance during these 5 years ? did you have any specific check on the clutch assembly ? I am ready to go for it , but I am a little worried by the robustness of the ball bearings that repalce the copper joints . Any specific issue or maintenance ?
Thanks for help. Manuel in South Britany - France
Manuel
toholthe View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote toholthe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2019 at 21:05
Hi,

You can contact Gideon at saildrives@yahoo.com

He is very helpful and willing to answer questions. You get a manual with the kit you need to read many times to complete the upgrade. I am in the middle of it now. The clutch is in pieces in my basement. It takes some time, but it’s not very difficult.

I paid USD 581 including shipping to Norway. 
Heikki View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2019 at 10:44
Hi Toholthe,

From where did you get the upgrade kit and how much did you pay for it?

Regards,
Heikki
Melanie
Hanse 400e #121
Zorro View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zorro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2019 at 17:56
Well - a few different reasons:
Engine is now 14 years old and still needs maintanance for approx Euro 2000.
Got a really good price on a new Engine/saildrive - around Euro 12000.
Will get a return of approx 4000 Euro for the old package.
Labour cost for changing the Engine and SD will cost me around Euro 2000.
Upgrade kit - Euro 500 + a few hours own work,,,

As I see it - cost for a brand new common rail diesel Engine with the new SD60 will come out at Euro 7500.
I think this is ok considering the value we get in return. (Hopefully many years of trouble free motoring when not under sail).

I even believe the second hand value of our boat will increase with a new Engine and SD. If I would have plans to sell the boat - I would not consider changing Engine but we plan to keep the vessel for Another 15 yearsSmileBig smileHeart

Edited by Zorro - 06 September 2019 at 18:00
toholthe View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toholthe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2019 at 16:09
I just received the SD50 upgrade kit. Will do the repair next week myself. Will report here how it goes. 

I do not understand why you will change to the SD60. Seems expensive compared to fixing the SD50 even if you need to do it every 300h. 
StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2019 at 22:56
If you have that much money to spend i would put it into a set of quality sails and instead spend US$600 on the SD50 upgrade kit that replaces the brass washers with thrust washers, vents the case and use GL-4 oil and you will have many years trouble free use from the SD50, i have posted a couple of comprehensive posts on this subject if you use the search function.

I have 5 years and counting after upgrade to my SD50 and no issues. 

If you google 'problems SD60 saildrive" you will see they to are not immune to problems.
Stephen
2010 H400 #691, Auckland, New Zealand
Zorro View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zorro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2019 at 08:12
Hi

Don't think there is a turbo on the new 3JH40CR.
Pls create a new topic on your question and pls let us get comments for SD60 on this thread.

Seems like SD60 works fine or?
Anyone with problems/issues on the SD60?

BR
Morgan

Sea-U View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sea-U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2019 at 08:02
I really don't know of this, but....

I have heard that new engines comes with turbo. Is that a benefit?
I am concerned with a turbo as I often just start the motor for 15 minutes to warm the water and get some charge.

Anyone any thoughts about this?
Sea-U is a 370e #532 located SW Norway
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>