myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 461 / 470
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Factory fitted Heater fix

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Factory fitted Heater fix
    Posted: 10 September 2019 at 02:01
Looking where to start in solving broken(?) heating system on 470e year 2007. It isn’t operating and I have only a basic manual. Any ideas where to start tracking the heating system so I can begin the trouble shoot. 
Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2019 at 11:55
Hi Sandy
If you look at my profile, you will find a few informations about me and my boat - you should try to publish a few informations about yourselt too!
It will be easier to respond to your questions if you tell us the name and model of your heater.
I can also recommend the search function on this site:
Choose Advanced search>All Forums>Any Date ,,,,,,,, and search e.g. "Webasto"
The manual is available on the net, or ask me, and I'll send one.

In my boat I have a Webasto 5000 and the search starts with checking the 20A fuse located near the battery. In my boat it is located in the battery compartment. It is not marked. You ought to know, the Webasto is powered directly from the battery, and it is not turned off when you cut the main curcuits. This is because the heater needs current in the cooling down period, when the blower is running. If you have power (green light) on the heater control knob, then you check the F-codes.
As you see below, the fuel line needs to be free of air, so if you ran out of fuel, the heater will not start.

FROM THE MANUAL:

Initial Operation
After the heater has been installed, the fuel supply system
is to be bled thoroughly.
NOTE:
Owing to the low fuel consumption it is required that the
heater be turned on repeatedly to fill the fuel line leading to
the heater.
During a test run of the heater all connections are to be
checked for leakage and security. Should a malfunction of
the heater occur during operation, fault isolating measures
are to be performed.
Shut-Down on Faults
Faults related to individual heater components and malfunctions
during the start-up sequence are detected in the
control unit.
The heater is shut down (fault lock-out) in the following
cases:
- no or unsuccessful start-up
- temperature sensor defective
- temperature limiter (interruption or short-circuit)
- glow plug defective
- insufficient fan speed, short circuit or interruption
- fault in the metering pump circuit or overheat protection
circuit (during start-up phase only)
- undervoltage of less than 10 volts or overvoltage of
more than 15 volts and for longer than 20 seconds
(aplies to 12-volt heaters)
- undervoltage of less than 20 volts or overvoltage of
more than 32 volts and for longer than 20 seconds
(on 24-volt heaters)
- control unit defective
- overheating
Fuel supply will be interrupted in the event of overheating.
An after-run cycle is performed as is the case when the
heater is shut down manually.
After the after-run cycle has been terminated, the control
unit is in the fault lock-out state.
An overheating condition is indicated by 10 flashing light
signals of the operation indicator.
Eliminate cause of malfunction.
To deactivate the fault lock-out, the heater is to be briefly
(min. 2 seconds) turned off and then switched back on
again one time.
Fault Code Display
If the heater is equipped with a combination or standard
digital timer, a fault code is indicated on the display of the
digital timer whenever a malfunction has occurred:
(The code may be shown as a blinking light, e.g 4 blinks = F04).
F 00 Control unit failure / incorrect parameter set /
warm start detection
F 01 No start-up (after 2 start-up attempts)
no formation of flames
F 02 Flame extinguished (repeated >5)
F 03 Undervoltage or overvoltage
F 04 Premature flame detection
F 06 Temperature sensor interruption or
temperature sensor short-circuit
F 07 Metering pump interruption or
metering pump short-circuit
F 08 Fan motor interruption or
fan motor short-circuit or
fan motor incorrect speed
F 09 Pencil-type glow plug interruption or
pencil-type glow plug short-circuit
F 10 Overheating
F 11 Temperature limiter interruption or
temperature limiter short-circuit
F 12 Setpoint transmitter (interruption / short-circuit)

P.S. Search in 341/342 "White smoke from heater exhaust" 

Edited by Captain Cook - 11 September 2019 at 10:14
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
JonB View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2019 at 21:38
Sandy,

Look back on my posts too, our 2007 470e was fitted with an Airtop 2500 I think, that had to be altered to pass EU requirements, it was never intended for anything other than lorry cabin use and so constantly cuts out and won't fire up.

I've been in to great detail to find this out and you might have exactly the same model as we have.

It won't work and needs replacing.

If after reading my article you feel you have exactly the same issue contact me through the private system ad I'll discuss or happy to do so in public.
Jon B
470e
http://www.norse-king.blogspot.co.uk
JonB View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2019 at 21:43
Jon B
470e
Sandy View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2019 at 00:59
Hi CC 
Thank you very much for your information.
I have printed it all out and will go through steps as per your instructions.
Ofcourse brand name would be handy - I couldn't even find heater location, let alone the brand..

I also have a Calibra Sealine device and Googling reveals that this is a battery charger /or monitor of charging in/outputs. The device emits a buzz (from internal fan in the unit, located under chart table behind and below instrument panel). I don't know how this works either. It has a circuit breaker tripper switch on the panel and I leave this in an On position - to be sure, as I think it will activate circuit breaker switch if batteries look like they might over charge /cook.
I also wrote to Hanse to ask for the oft-mentioned "Operating Instructions" quoted in the basic few photocopied pages of 470e info that came with the boat. 
Again, thank you for providing me with this info, I appreciate it.Smile

Sandy View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2019 at 01:05
Hi Jon
I am printing out your information and thank you so much for it.

I have only just located the heater so I will have to confirm brand and test it out. It's in the aft lazarette, port side.

The boat came with virtually no User information so spent the past week opening and pulling cabin apart to track electrics wiring, plumbing etc. 

Great information, thanks again.
Sandy View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2019 at 06:42
Hi Jon
I have finally had success in starting and operating the Webasto heater after dismantling inlets and outlets and thoroughly cleaning. There was substantial gunk as the vessel has been idle for some years. I have learned a lot from the Captain on this forum as well his instructions were invaluable. The heater functions now and I’ve gained some knowledge. 

I wrote to Hanse for Operating Instructions but haven’t heard back for over a week. I only have the basic safety guide for this boat. So I’m desperate for this Operating INstructions Manual so if you’ve heard of it or anyone having it please let me know. 
Thank you kindly for your help 

Edited by Sandy - 26 September 2019 at 06:44
JonB View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2019 at 21:13
Sandy,

I'm sure I have a Webasto manual on board and so the next time I pop down to NK I'll bring it back and pdf them over.

I've change the burner element over, it looks like a small frying pan with a mesh and the mesh usually clogs.  I've also tried burning paraffin as it burns at a high temperature and cleans it up.  My issue is my heater will never work. I might change it but it's not high in my priorities or spoiling my sailing.
Jon B
470e
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2019 at 21:52
The following manuals/parts list  are free to download from the internet:

Edited by Captain Cook - 26 September 2019 at 22:13
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2019 at 21:54

(Visit www.butlertechnik.com for more technical information & downloads.)

If you cannot find the instruction manual at butlertechnik.com, You can send a PM with your email, the pdf. is 5.2 Mb, so it can not be uploaded here.

Discovering the location of the heater must be fairly simple. Most Hanses have mounted the heater in aft port side. If you search for the stainless exhaust pipe (shape of a Manneken Pis penis), surely the heater is placed right inside from this. Some Hanse-owners call this place"The Bermuda Triangle" since it is a place where things have a tendency to disappear.

Edited by Captain Cook - 26 September 2019 at 22:10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>