myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 370 / 375
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Best way to organise Halyards/Sheets at coachroof
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best way to organise Halyards/Sheets at coachroof

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best way to organise Halyards/Sheets at coachroof
    Posted: 23 September 2019 at 14:32
Forgive me if this topic has already been covered.  We bought our 2009 Hanse 370e in France back in March and got it back to its new home Dublin Ireland early May. Although it is our first season I have to say it has been a pleasure to sail. The question I have is in regard to optimum clutch bank set up when sailing short handed. Currently I sail mainly with my other half.  We have not had a situation where we are required to reef main however with the weather changing I believe this will become the norm as we plan on doing a good bit of winter sailing. 

Current starboard clutch set up is as follows:

2 Reef  Lines , Main Halyard. Main Sheet and Genoa sheet.  My concern is that if we are required to put second or third reef in while at sea how do you manage this when running the main halyard and reef line through the same clutch bank to the single coach roof winch. Do the more experienced forum members have a better way of setting up lines from mast back to port and starboard clutch banks especially in situation when sailing short handed.

I appreciate any advice on this.

Regards

Alan

H8jer View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H8jer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2019 at 20:45
welcome to the forum.

We have selftacker jib and therefore don't use the aft winches for genua.
The aft winches are both electric. We feed the jib sheet all the way in a straight line to the starboard aft winch.
The mainsail sheet goes to the port side aft winch.

So when I sail I can stand behind the wheel and trim with the push on a buttonLOL
The clutches are keept open at all times. We only use the starboard winch when setting the main sail.
But we always pull the main hayleyard by hand where it exit the mast. Final tension is done with the winch under the sprayhood, which is making winch operations difficult.

Reefing is never an issue, but it needs to be set up correctly

/h8jer
Hanse 370#487 30HP 3-cabin
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2019 at 22:01
On our yacht the main sheet and the self tacker jib sheet are on opposite sides, so I can easily adjust both sails.
Port side clutches
Main sheet, boom outhaul, 1st and 3rd reef line, jib halyard and spinnaker halyard. 
Starboard side clutches
Kicker, 2nd reef, main halyard, jib sheet and spinnaker halyard.

We have dyneema halyards, so the main halyard is marked off by the clutch, where it will be for the 3 reefing points so that we are just not loading up on the mainsail mast sliders of the part of the main that is reefed.  In addition, we have marks on the mast, where a batten car or sail slider will be when the sail is reefed (Thanks to Samuel for the latter idea.)  So, having eased the kicker, we can just lower the main under control with one turn around the winch, whilst pulling in the reefing lines.  Having lowered the sail to the correct place, we clutch off the halyard and then pull the reefing lines in tight on the winch.  Getting the leech tension high is easier if you can either just push the boom up a bit so that it sits high on the rod kicker, or lift it slightly using the reefing line above the one you are actually tightening. Having clutched of the reefing line, we will then just tighten up on the main halyard the final couple of cms.  Always pull the reefing lines in simultaneously, as otherwise the leech lines can tangle themselves. 

If you need it, you can always ease the main halyard whilst it is wrapped around the genoa winch on the cockpit coaming, whilst using the cabin top winch for tensioning the reefing line.

If you want to put in or take out reefs whilst you are still in harbour, it helps if you make marks on the reefing lines, say at the boom end, so you know roughly how much rope to pull through.   So it is worth spending some time in light winds on anchor or on a mooring and going through the various reefing practices.

This describes in more detail how I set a third reef .

We put in the third reef, before we even start to think about reefing the jib.  

This thread shows how I control the self tacking jib.

Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
Big Al View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2019 at 08:28
H8jer / Martin & Rene,

many thanks for the excellent & insightful feedback. I now know what my first jib on the boat will be this weekend!! Sounds logical what you both outlined. I like the ides of running main and jib sheet back to rear winches, and marking halyards and reef lines for reef positions is a great idea.

I find this forum an excellent source of information  / advice on the 370.

Many thanks again 

AlanBig smileBig smileBig smile

Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2019 at 18:38
Just guessing at what the layout of your ropes are, but it may be worth while switching the main sheet and kicker rope over, so that the 2 sheets are on opposite sides of the yacht.  

I fitted a wheel pilot autopilot and basically the only time we use it when we are sailing is if I am alone in the cockpit, then I can just flick it on whilst I adjust the sheets.

I was looking at an old thread with somebody saying their yacht sometimes rounded up when it was windy.  They described that they "luffed in the lulls and bore of in the gusts".  This is obviously what I do when I am racing a dinghy, but at the same time the pair of us will be easing sheets.    

On the yacht, we do it differently, as we are in cruising mode and normally not playing the sheets too much.  As a gust hits, even with no change in wind direction, the apparent wind will move aft which will cause the yacht to heel.  So we aim to see a gust coming, luff up slightly as the gust hits, which stops the yacht heeling too much, and then then bear away back on to some where near the the original course as the boat speed increases. 

As a Dinghy Instructor, I always try to explain to people how the apparent wind direction changes as the wind goes up and down and the boat speed varies, even though many people find it hard to think of vector triangles.  I ended up making a model with a hair dryer acting as the wind to explain it all.

Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
Peter Russell View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2019 at 10:44
Our 370 was delivered with this set-up. Works for me and I think replicates an earlier post
Port
main sheet
boom outhaul
1st reef
jib halyard
Starboard
Kicker
2nd reef
main halyard
jib sheet

Not that I use them I've also run 2 halyards to the spinnaker - one on port and one on starboard
Peter Russell

Hanse 370 hull 499 "Outnumbered"

http://outnumbered.the-russells.net
 Post Reply Post Reply