myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 371
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

General Info on 371's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiemo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: General Info on 371's
    Posted: 30 September 2019 at 03:52
I am new to the Hanse forum and would appreciate information on owner's experiences with the boat on ocean passages. Thus far my experience with using wind as a form of propulsion has been flying hot-air balloons for 27 years in US/Mex/Switzerland. I feel an insanely strong compulsion to travel by sailboat now.

I've been spending an inordinate amount time of looking for the perfect boat (I know... there isn't one). Ultimately I would buy on the US West Coast and cut my teeth sailing to San Diego to the Channel Ilsands, Santa Barbara, San Franciso, and down to La Paz. I have a goal of sailing to Hawaii and then on to Alaska, across the Gulf of Alaska to the Inside Passage and ending up back in San Diego - hopefully in the boat.

With that said, I've read mixed owner's reviews of the 371's practicality for such sailing. I figured I'd come to this forum and find ask you folks. As a side note, I will be doing quite a bit of solo sailing, hopefully not for passages, and intend to live aboard. I understand the fuel capacity is on the low side and am curious if any of you have increase tank size and how difficult / expensive it was to do so? 

Here is newbie question: I've noticed on other boats I've considered such as a Caliber 35 or 38, and a Catalina 38 that although deemed to be laid out for single handed sailing the winch placements for the Genoa would require one to crawl around the helm and reach the winches for tacking. It would seam that given the ability to still set oneself in sturdy position and have room for the winch handle that it would be better to have these winches further aft so one can tack without leaving the helm?

Thank you

TvZ
jeb View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2019 at 13:00
I use to sail a Hanse371 from 2004 but upgraded to Hanse 400 in 2014. As satndard the 371 came with a self tacker and the main sheet track on the roof. Both sheets are on the winches on the roof. It also came with genoa winches but they are not easely reached from the helm position. There is a prepared location (with AL backing plates) for Spinnacker winches. There is also backing plates in the cockpit for a mainsheet traveler. So depending on the setup on the boat you are looking for
you might need to upgrade.
On my Hanse 400 I have the extra set of winches at the helm (as well as cockpit mansheet traveler) and use those winches for german sheeting of the main. I have replaced the self tacker with a 107% jib that I normally sheet at the Genoa winches. I have also added a pair of jammers to the main sheet, so when sailing single handed I sheet the jib on the aft winch (leeward), loocking the leeward jammer for the the main sheet and controlling the with the widward winch. When tacking I lock both jammers and can easely handle the jib myself. This setup can be copied to the 371 as well but might add winches/traveler and jammers.  
Jesper
Hanse 400e
Tiemo View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiemo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2019 at 20:11
That is great information. Thank you Jesper. It appears that many boats deemed to be set up for single handed sailing would in actuality require similar refits.

Being that I am all over the board as far as boats go... my hope is to also hear about the 371's open ocean abilities - size of rigging, sail plan, stability comfort, etc... .

Going strictly by the typical metrics used when discussing bluewater boats; Capsize Ratio; D/L; B/D;  the 371 ratios come up short. I want the best of both worlds... fun to sail locally (even race from time to time) and the ability to be safe in weather and sea states sometimes encountered when making passages.  

I figured someone would rip me for even putting a Caliber 38 and Hanse 371 side by side for comparison as it really is an apple to orange comparison. Is there a boat in the middle that combines the excitement of the Hanse 371 and the stability of the Caliber 38?

TvZ
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2019 at 03:29
Hi Tiemo,

A couple of years ago I once sailed a weekend a Caliber 38. It is a pretty antique design and definitely underpowered with the standard ward robe. I was not impressed with the performance, apparently I was the slowest boat in light winds. Dark interior, not really well laid out. Of course the old long keel boats show a different behaviour out in the ocean. The interior was pretty dark. Does the yard still exist ? Can you get spares?

IMHO all speaks for a 371! It is faster, also well built, a modern design and a yard with solid financials.

Rgds to beautiful San Diego

Edited by Fendant - 01 October 2019 at 03:31
Frank
colinc View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2019 at 15:00
If you are sailing distance single handed then I suggest you stick with the self tacking jib.  Also the autopilot (or windvane) is pretty crucial for when you need to adjust sails etc.  Leaving yourself confined to behind the wheel for long periods would be pretty draining.

I have not gone for more than a few days but most of the time autopilot is steering and I am navigating, trimming, changing sails, making coffee/food.  I tack by pressing a button.   Maybe I’m not a proper sailer :-)

A common suggesting is to charter a boat for a week or two to decide what works.   And also that you rarely get it all right with your first boat - but it makes your second selection better.
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2019 at 03:06
I have Hanse 371-092 which I got in 2001. The original location of the genoa winches was forward but when adding hard dodger I moved them aft to the locations for spinnaker winches. I had to make an 18mm thick StarBoard adapter plate for each as the molded in base was slightly too small. I much prefer the new location.

I race my 371 Tangleberry single-handed often, and have won a number of races against much faster rated boats. Upwind in a strong wind she is hard to beat. Also quick downwind under spinnaker.

My boat is now 18 years old and is still in great shape. I bought new working sails last year, and have recently added a retractable sprit and furling Assymetrical spinnaker.

Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
colinc View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2019 at 08:18
Can you tell us a little about the hard dodger.  Looks interesting.
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2019 at 20:02
Sorry for the late reply. I just saw this. The hard dodger is a Tartarooga made in Sidney BC. If you are not nearby, it is possible they might have the measurements from my boat. The photo shows how it was mounted, after I moved the sheet winches.

Edited by gshannon - 07 January 2020 at 01:08
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
 Post Reply Post Reply