myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 415/418
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boat heading on chart plotter error

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat heading on chart plotter error
    Posted: 30 October 2019 at 06:03
The boat heading on the B&G Zeuss is showing about 25 degrees out.  Previously it has also shown about 8-10 degrees out.  Where is the Compass module located?  Also noticed another time that the tide was showing 2 knots from the side when it was not anywhere near from the side.  Has anyone had issues like this.  Agent supposedly reset it but no improvement.

Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2019 at 09:28
You need to be sure that the fluxgate compass is not affected by any metal nearby.    I had a spare water pump about 2 ft away and that was enough to throw it off by about the same amount.   My compass is located under a settee in the aft cabin.     Not sure where it is on your boat.

Fix one problem at a time.  By addressing the compass problem, it may fix the current calculation given it thinks you are going in a different direction...

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2019 at 23:24
The 385 has the fluxgate compass under the floor of the hanging space in the wardrobe in the aft port cabin.
The wardrobe floor can be lifted using the suction pad.
The 415/28 isn't much different so I suggest you look there.
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
Breathe View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breathe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2019 at 07:52
on my 418 the Compas is in the hanging locker, as per S&J
Antsy View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2019 at 01:20
OK thanks guys.  I will start there.
Breathe View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breathe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2019 at 08:10
I had a look at Breathe today. When stationary, the heading readout is within a couple of degrees of the magnetic compass reading.

Interestingly the installation manual for the flux gate compass says that the compass should be at least 2m from the engine. It is locate less than 1.5m from the engine. 
Antsy View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2019 at 20:25
It appears to be a setting issue that was not sorted out from new and was not found by the agents after 3 tries!!
Under settings there is an offset for compass deviation.  This was set at 10 degrees.  The agents have now reset it to Automatic.  Only taken 10 months to get it sorted.  Seems to be within a couple of degrees now.
Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2019 at 22:48
Do you mean deviation or.  variation?     Variation is 15 degrees where I am but deviation would be boat specific.   Wondering what automatic deviation would do if it was in fact that
Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
 Post Reply Post Reply