myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 385/388
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starboard cockpit locker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian2019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starboard cockpit locker
    Posted: 04 November 2019 at 19:37
Hi all, I been after a 385 for some time now and followed many discussions on the forum for several years. My dream is a 2 cabin version with the storage locker port aft. I am now in a position to full fill (financial) my dream. However, I am in a bit of a dilemma there is a really nice 3 cabin version come up. I understand on the 2 cabin version you can load the storage cupboard via the starboard locker on the cockpit instead of carrying everything up and down the stairs. My question is: is it possible to opened up the bottom of the locker on the starboard side on a 3 cabin version so to be able to drop items in to the starboard cabin so to use it as an occasional storage room. If so has anyone done this? How does this affect the integrity? Thanks in advance for your advice and replies. 
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2019 at 19:51
Hi Ian,
I can't comment on the feasibility of doing this, although I doubt that there would be any structural issues.
Just remember that the other major benefit of the single aft cabin layout is that you get a full size galley.  In the twin aft cabin version the galley is much smaller.
Even though I often sail with myself and two other crew (one of whom sleeps in the saloon), I wouldn't want to lose the benefits of the storage space and larger galley.

My locker usually is full with the following:
Fixed shelf with kitchen appliances (toaster, vacuum,glasses)
Fixed shelf for shoes
Fixed shelf for bottled water/beer
Spare ropes
Two collapsible trays of food (one dried goods, one tinned)
Collapsible tray of boat cleaning materials
Collapsible tray of electric cables and converters
Swim ladder
Boat hooks
Inflatable dinghy
4hp outboard
Folding bike
Spinnaker
Stern anchor and chain/rope
4 fenders (when sailing)

Edited by S&J - 05 November 2019 at 07:17
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2019 at 20:51
cutting out the storage to create full top access will be possible and not to crazy to do. You create a lot of dust and you have to do some finishing work as well
Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
Ian2019 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian2019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2019 at 03:34
Hi thanks for your quick replies. Good point regarding the size of the gallery but not sure how much the misses will miss it.
The dust, sure needs a big extraction fan and good face mask.

One thing I forgot to mention is the 3 cabin version is 3 yrs younger. Hence 3yrs less exposure to the weather and the salt water environment on the electronics etc and general less wear and tear. 

Has anyone had issues with the cockpit lockers getting water in in heavy rains? 

Should I go with my heart for the older 2 cabin version or my logic for the younger 3 cabin version?  Any thoughts would be great.
Thanks
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2019 at 05:58
I have not had problems with water in the hatches from rain or while sailing as.that area does not get running water when we get waves over the deck.  I have had water in there when spraying the deck with a hose and to overcome this I added a rubber seal around the lid.

How the boat has been used is more important than age.  A 2 year old boat that has been chartered or used as a sailing school boat will have taken more abuse that a five year old boat in private hands.  Not sure where you are located, but consider looking in the Baltic.  Boats there have a short season and are usually stored under cover during the winter.  Also much less exposure to salt as it's only 20% salinity of the North Sea.
I sail my own boat pretty hard (10,000Nm in 5 years) and still have people asking if it is s new boat!

If you will just be weekending the small galley will be ok.  I generally live aboard for the 4 months of the year the boat is in commission and have already expressed my preference on this.  Obviously if you have family (kids) the priority will be different.

I think this is a good time of year to buy (in Europe) as sellers will be very keen to get a boat sold before the winter.  It also gives you time to sort out any issues or add/change equipment before the main sailing season starts.
Carlosailfan View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosailfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2019 at 06:12
Just a small hint, make a short investigation in the wine cellar, under the floor panels and look if the frame is still on his original position and that the laminate is not ripped off.
A serious grounding could eventually have an impact on this structure. You will find some pictures on this forum and i saw my selves already a 418 with this issue. 
I have a 385, 2 cabin and yes i am very happy with the large storage, this place you really need for your sailing gear and equipment.

Good luck and joint the lucky 385 owners :)
Best regards
/C
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2019 at 10:06
Ian,

my next berth neighbor has a 385 from 2011 with the large accessible locker and the large galley. He is more than happy with it and uses it predominantly with his wife and occasionally with 2 guests. On order of his Admiral he has even installed a dishwasher in the locker, which is build out with storage shelves for collapsible rays (as above ).

Buying in Europe might have an advantage for you in the future as VAT is paid (insist on official written proof. So you don't have to leave the EU every 18 months.
Frank
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2019 at 12:37
Bear in mind that the EU will only recognise the boat as VAT paid if it is in EU waters on Brexit day (whenever that may be).  If it is in the UK on Brexit day then it will be deemed not to have paid EU vat and this will become payable after 18 months in the EU.
This the the current understanding as published by the RYA.
Ian2019 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian2019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2019 at 05:58
Thanks all for your valued input. I understand a young boat that has been chartered could well have had more wear, tear and abuse which photos don’t show up. Thanks for the tip re wine locker. 
I am impressed by how much gear you get in the locker S&G so a question to all the 3 cabin version owners would be where do you all store all this stuff?
If the other half reads a “dishwasher” the decision will be out my hands!! 
Sailing wise, I’m lucky she will be on a set of buoys a stone throw from my from door so mainly days, weekends with several 2-4 week longer ventures. 
Regarding Brexit, paid VAT and in or out of Europe at the time of leaving (if and whenever) both have EU VAT paid one UK the other in Germany and they are both berthed in the EU at present. If you have a vessel in the UK could you just pop over to France for the night of Brexit?
Again thanks for your comments

Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2019 at 07:15
Hi Ian,

afaik EU VAT regulations have changed over time.

Let's take an example for EU/Switzerland. If you buy a boat from a private EU citizen and export it to Switzerland, you pay the Swiss VAT. But you can not claim the EU VAT back. This boat only retains the EU VAT privilege for 3 years. If you sell the boat after 5 years back to a EU buyer he has to pay again VAT according to the residual value.

Any future regulations are unfortunately in the hands politicians

Good luck with your search!
Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>