myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 461 / 470
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wrap my hanse 470

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeBradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wrap my hanse 470
    Posted: 10 November 2019 at 16:47
Hi 
I am considering having my hanse 470 wrapped has anyone had any experience 

Thanks mike
Kodiak View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kodiak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2019 at 07:44
Mike,

I had my 548 done at the factory and so far so good one season in.  I wanted a blue hull and the dark  gelcoat colours are susceptible to fading in harsh sun.  Painting was 4 x the cost of wrap so even if I need to replace every 3-5 years I think I'm ahead.  

To the touch and untrained eye it appears to be a hard finish like paint or gelcoat.

The only downside that I'm aware of so far is that the vinyl is not as forgiving as gelcoat so bumps and scuffs can't be buffed out but they can be repaired by cutting a patch and reapplying.  Haven't had to do this yet but the day will come.

Hope this assists.

Brufan View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brufan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2019 at 08:52
If you search this forum you will find photos & comments about a large dutch Hanse called "Moneypenny" with was vinyl wrapped in black or dark blue (as far as I remember)
Bruno

hanse 355 - 57

S/Y Spicy Ginger

White hull, 2 cabins, Volvo D1-30, Selden rig, removable mainsheet track system, Simrad (now B&G)-Jefa autopilot.
MikeBradley View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeBradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2019 at 17:28
Well we are all booked in weather permitting to get Caroline wrapped next week will try and post some pics before and after :)

mglonnro View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mglonnro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2019 at 06:32
Good experiences with wrapping after one season!

Here's a blog post I wrote just after it was done: https://nakedsailor.blog/2019/06/24/its-a-wrap/

It's less forgiving than paint, yes. In the blog post I was quite disappointed that the yard responsible for lifting/launching the boat managed to scratch it even before I had a chance to see it. (In Tallinn, however, they were lifting wrapped race boats all the time, so I guess it's not so difficult if you are experienced with it.)

However, after that we slowly grew more comfortable with it. I made some mooring line chafe protectors out of fender covers and they worked nicely. 

The different wraps have their individual end-of-life times, and those can be found in the wrap manufacturers' specifications. Ours is supposed to last 4-5 years, if I remember correctly.

It looks as paint, doesn't fade or oxidize and it protects the "real" color beneath. Pretty good!

Here's a link to an instagram post I just happen to make yesterday, when they were doing the wrapping: https://www.instagram.com/p/B43ETswAWMC/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Edited by mglonnro - 15 November 2019 at 06:32
MikeBradley View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeBradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2019 at 20:06
mglonnro View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mglonnro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2019 at 15:16
Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up

What a beautiful transformation!
 Post Reply Post Reply