myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 415/418
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New 418 Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caylieanddavid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 418 Questions
    Posted: 19 November 2019 at 10:28
Hi guys great forum with lots of information. We have ordered our 418 from HVG in Greifswald for collection in April. From there we plan to sail back to Australia over two years. My questions are:
Has anyone added a forward looking sonar after purchase and if so where did they put them (cored hull, N2K connection or straight into Zues3)?
Did anyone retrofit a watermaker and where is the water inlet and outlet, is the wiring harness installed even if not bought factory?
If anyone does get a supplier for the start button cover I'd love to find where to get one
Are there any specific offshore upgrades not in the forum recommended for the trip. We have the FCL, Lazyjacks and electric winches. 
I've seen forums on downwind sails but can anyone recommend a good Allround cruising furling code/genaker and furler setup for shorthanding?
Does anyone have a downloadable version of the 418 manual available please. 

Sorry for the volume, lots I'm still trying to learn. 

Thanks 

David

iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 11:26
I would always add a Code 0 for any usage of the boat.
For Long distance sailing I heard very positive feedback on sails like a Parasailor esp. for Long passages since this kind of sails are very stable. I would alway cary a decent spinaker pole (in a bag at the main boom). You will need one.
Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 12:24
Hi David,

congrats for having chosen the 418!

One item I am really missing are solid handles at the helm pedestals. Phil from Inspiration Marine in the UK has retrofitted several of these.
Afaik the foreward scan sensor will fit into the existing hole of the airmar transducer. You will loose speed through water and water temperature.

The electric Würth panel is a lemon. I would replace all cheapo melt fuses by resettable automatic fuses for your trip back. This helps identifying any electrical problems.

If you have chosen a stainless steel anchor chain, make sure that the material for the chain and ALL connections is Cromox AISI 1.4462 which is the only material surviving in warm salt water, stainless steel (A4 ) AISI 1.4401 is NOT good.

Code 0 or a Gennaker would certainly be nice for light breezes. Think about you safety ladder and a possibility to have a shackle in the main sheet to hoist somebody on board again, your electric winches will do this job easily.

Specify all canvas work to be in Sunbrella (r) , the standard canvas ex factory is substandard and will most likely not survive the trip.

BR
Frank
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 15:01
Congratulations on your new boat.  I collected my 385 from Greifswald 5 years ago and spent 3 years exploring the Baltic.  Let me know if you want advise for the start of your trip!

I have contact details for the people that Inspiration Marine use to make grab handles for the steering pedistals.  It's on the forum somewhere.

You may also want to search for posts from Interlude, a Sydney couple who sailed their 385 back from Greifswald in 2014/15.  (Note there is more than one Interlude on the forum).
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
mglonnro View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mglonnro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 16:52
Originally posted by Caylieanddavid Caylieanddavid wrote:

Are there any specific offshore upgrades not in the forum recommended for the trip.

- A storm jib, since the standard one isn't designed for reefing. 
- Reef points for a third reef put into the main. 

Local sailmakers Wendel & Rados will be able to do these if you want: https://yachtausruester.de/

For a lot of other angles than tightly upwind, the Crossover/Code 0 sail is great. It's available on the factory price list along with all the needed fittings.

Caylieanddavid View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caylieanddavid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 19:46
Thank you all very much for this excellent advice, looks like I need to increase the fitout budget. 

I am keen to keep speed/ depth so I'm trying to get a new hole drilled for the FLS before it splashes in Greifswald. 

I saw a lot of parasailors on the last ARC and while the work well when set they still are a bit fiddly and set with a snuffer which I'd like to avoid this time around. 

I'll definitely refit with resettable fuses, thanks for the tip. 

Still no firm plan for the Baltic besides hearing good things about Stockholm archipelago so it would be great to hear recommendations. 

I'll search for the extra helm handles as these sound essential. 

I'm sticking with the standard anchor and plan to go a larger Delta(? Once I can confirm it will fit) with more chain for the Pacific. 

I will contact the broker about changing stackpack/sprayhood/Bimini to sunbrella. Thanks for the tip. If they won't do this who else would you recommend. 

I'll speak to W&S about to storm sail( I assume it's the kind that fits over the furled sail) and third reef. I assume the third reef will be conventional not single line( I have seen the conversion post) is it possible to change the first or second single line reef over to the third position or is there not enough line?

So much to learn.....

Thanks All for your advice. 

David
Muriel View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muriel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 22:53
Hi David,
If you contact Richard Brieley-Jones at Windcraft in Sydney, you maybe able to get him to supply a cage cover like they installed on our 418 during commissioning in April this year.

I agree with the comments about the lack of grab handles around steering pedestals. It makes one grab for the wheel which is of course quite offputting for the helmsman.

We've been sailing our Muriel 418/81 in and around Broken Bay since April and spending many hours under sail and live aboard for several days at a time, but haven't ventured too far afield.  We are planning on going North to Whitsundays next May so are starting to think through upgrades to be more self sufficient time.

On our potentials list are, upgrade winches to electric, code 0 or Crossover, solar, water maker and also maybe a 2kw generator/inverter.

Am interested in the suggestions you are getting.

Gordon and Trudi Butler on 418 Breathe have just returned from 5 months up there this year so I am going to pick their brains about their upgrades before they went and their suggestions after their experiences.

Good luck with your big trip.
Cheers
Bruce J
mglonnro View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mglonnro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2019 at 04:56
Originally posted by Caylieanddavid Caylieanddavid wrote:

I'll speak to W&S about to storm sail( I assume it's the kind that fits over the furled sail) and third reef. I assume the third reef will be conventional not single line( I have seen the conversion post) is it possible to change the first or second single line reef over to the third position or is there not enough line?

I don't have these either, but after our first season of sailing (a 388) I'm in currently in the process of ordering both Smile 

Yes, W&R's storm jib fits over the furled sail and can be sheeted with the standard self-tacking sheet. (As far as I understand.)

W&R has the "put in 3rd reef" in their own price list with some added "lazy bag modifications" so I'm not quite sure how they do it. If I had known, I would have had it done in Greifswald before the handover but now, as the sail is in Finland, it will be done here.

We're doing it in the way you describe, with no extra lines, but so that once the 2nd reef is in, it will be possible to get the 1st reef lines moved up to the 3rd reef. My "old salt" sailing pro insists it's relatively easy to do it, but we'll see Smile

Anyway, surrounding the HanseYachts manufacturing operations down in Greifswald, there are quite a few companies doing quite a few Hanse related things, with enormously much experience of these particular yachts. So, in my humble opinion, good idea to get as much as possible done there, before leaving. 
Caylieanddavid View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caylieanddavid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2019 at 06:37
Thanks for the advice mglonnro, I'll talk to them. On my last boat the storm jib fits in a second furler track. Do you know if there is a second track on the standard 418 furler.  If so I'll probably recycle mine. 

Stepping up the first reef sounds like the best option if it works well. 

On the sunbrella front has anyone had W&S uogradefabric from new when bought through the factory?
Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2019 at 12:02
Hi
I had the third reef point added to the mainsail when I got my 418 (whilst the sail was still new) even though I haven't yet figured out how best to implement it!
I've not had chance to properly think this though yet, but have at least ruled out re purposing one of the existing reefs. I think this would be problematic trying to locate the aperture in the stack-pack whilst the boom is flailing around and I'm also not sure there is sufficient travel in the boom cars to match the third reef position. The third reef I have is comparatively deeper than the other two. The third reef pennant would come down on the boom somewhere just aft of, or over the sprayhood. I wouldn't want to be reeving that in conditions that required a third reef!  I've talked with various mast / sailmakers but haven't yet finalised my plan.....but I suspect part of the plan will involve utilising one of the mainsheet clutches as there are none spare.
In terms of the offwind sail, I managed to get a very good deal at the Southampton boat show from North Sails for a Gzero Genneker on a furler. I'll be able to tell you the impact it has on boatspeed next April, but I have high hopes ;-)

Matt
Hanse 418 #64 EmBer. Hamble, UK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>