myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bow thruster door lost on passage.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simonb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2020 at 21:18
that’s the only solution i found - to be honest , this should be done on all hanse yachts with bthrusters
Simon B
Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2020 at 15:12
As I said before,  there is a way to do this beyond just electrically disabling it.

There should be a lanyard at the base of the drive motor , which is to be tied off to the actuator lever arm to keep the door closed.

Once that is done , you must disconnect the bow thruster control power by pulling the fuse at the big fuse panel under nav. table . The main disconnect switch located at the bow thruster batteries only turns off the power to the electric motor only . This does not disable the actuator piston that lowers the thruster.

FWIW

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
Relentless View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relentless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 15:55
My actuator is damaged.   The internal nut on the acme threads is completely stripped out and you can extend and retract the actuator rod by hand.  I am wondering if the actuator failed...allowing the bow thruster to drop.
then when hit by a wave, the bow thruster could slam closed before dropping again.  After enough slams...the door broke away.

The door is held against the prop tunnel with cables and spring tension. I think the door is "sealed" against the hull opening with spring tension from this cable....and the thruster retracts higher into the recess..pulling the door with it...then stretching out the springs once the door makes contact with the hull.   I think the thruster travels more than the door.

Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 16:58
Question for Rob:     Would securing the actuator lever arm the way I described have worked for you?   I was told that this was the recommended heavy weather prep.

I have been told by others with retractable bow thrusters (not just on Hanse) that this is a common issue.

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Newport, RI
Arcadia View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 17:23
The question still remains as to why the thruster would drop to begin with. Short of it being accidentally deployed, I don’t see how the actuator would allow the tunnel to drop.  It can not be “back driven” by any force on the door. It will remain rigid until power is applied. Is it possible that the actuator was damaged previously? I believe that the strap is to prevent accidental electrical  deployment.  The actuator would sense the resistance and would automatically reverse and retract. Is there something I’m missing here? Also, Rob, be sure you set the limit switches properly when you install the new actuator.  It has enough force to do damage to the thruster assembly if it over- travels in either direction.  Start with a short travel in both directions and gradually increase until the movement of the tunnel is correct.
Leon / ARCADIA
2018 Hanse 588
Sag Harbor, NY
Relentless View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relentless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 17:26
Yes Rick!   I think this is a good solution.  It is not easy to lash the bow thruster in the closed position because there isn't much to connect a line too.   I was able to do it...but it took some work.   Some custom brackets might be needed....and the mechanical advantage is poor because the lever arm is short.  
I think once it is secured, the actuator should be disconnected to prevent it from taking any shock loads in heavier seas when the boat is pounding into waves.

I'll let you know what I come up with.

Arcadia View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 18:15
From the install manual:

Leon / ARCADIA
2018 Hanse 588
Sag Harbor, NY
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 21:49
Leon,

Maybe I am missing something.   The manual page you provided show how to adjust the actuator,  not lock it in place.     I don't think the issue here is that the door isn't closing all the way.   I think the issue is that the door pops open in heavy seas and you need to both disable power to the unit as well as secure the door manually to minimize the risk of that happening.

Rob,

I've heard the "disconnect the actuator" argument as well.  It sounds like a "one more" solution, but I'm not sure whether its really needed.    You would be a better judge of that than me.

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Newport, RI
Simonb View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simonb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 22:25
I have had this happen of three occasions, and had three door replacements  - a combination of fixes is the solution 
- the factory door hinge mechanism needs to be beefed up 
- often the sort itself is not totally flush
- in a heavy sea the door will fractionally open due to the quantum of pressure inside the door - the actuators then think the door is deploying and activate - hence the need to is isolate actuators and thruster electrics with one switch

- the lashing idea is excellent - though only really practical on a passage - I will make sure I do it 
Simon B
Arcadia View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 22:45
Rick, 
Rob had mentioned that he would be replacing his damaged actuator. It’s important that he go through the proper adjustments to avoid further damage to the thruster mechanism. 
Leon / ARCADIA
2018 Hanse 588
Sag Harbor, NY
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>