myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How close to published speed guide upwind?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mglonnro View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mglonnro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How close to published speed guide upwind?
    Posted: 22 December 2019 at 19:59
Originally posted by Matt2 Matt2 wrote:

wow! Amazing piece of work...

How did you record the data all summer? 

Thank you!

I had a Raspberry PI (hidden in the space behind the DC panel) connected to the NMEA2000 network 24/7. It stored all NMEA messages on its local memory card and periodically uploaded them to the cloud. And I left the instruments "on" also when we weren't on the boat. In total it became something like 15 GB of data :)
Matt2 View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2019 at 19:45
wow! Amazing piece of work...

How did you record the data all summer? 
EmBer Hanse 418 #64
(Previously "matt1" until lost password!)
mglonnro View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mglonnro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2019 at 10:56
DONE!

Here's my blog post comparing what we did to Hanse's marketing material. With a crossover sail we got to about 90-94% of the speed guide, where they're using a spinnaker. I'm quite positively surprised, actually! 

mglonnro View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mglonnro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2019 at 08:28
Cheers, 

I'm getting further on my polar data comparison. Anyone here with any insight into what's behind Hanse's published speed guides? 

I assume they're produced using ORC's VPP program, but what are the base parameters regarding weight etc? 

Also, it would be terribly nice to get VPP runs for the options Hanse actually sells. Now the 388 speed guides are for jib + spinnaker, but what we buy (from Hanse) is jib + gennaker and/or crossover. 

I have a contact at Hanse, but they seem to be on vacation. Any enthusiastic dealers present?

I'm writing a sailing speed blog post and it would be nice to show apples and apples visuals instead of presenting the (apples to oranges) appearance that Hanse's speed guides are way off.

mglonnro View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mglonnro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2019 at 14:30
Originally posted by samuel samuel wrote:

The polar does not say if it is based on Aloha's genoa, or their cruising chute. If it is the cruising chute then you are OK. However, if you are comparing your code zero  (how big 65M2 perhaps?) to their genoa (28.41 M2)then you might have 30- 40 M2 more sail area. In 10Kts of wind. You should, realistically, cream them with that much extra sail area.

I think Aloha's calculation is based on their asymmetric spinnaker (100.79mē). In the ORC methodology they say they run the prediction simulations with all the different sails and select the best speed: 

"The calculations are done for the upwind sails (mainsail and jib) and downwind for the mainsail with each declared largest off wind sail type (symmetric, asymmetric on pole, asymmetric on centerline),
where the program then chooses the sail combination to produce best speed.
"

Hanse's speed guide, at least, is using a symmetric spinnaker and there the resultant speed is about 7.3 knots. 

WE'RE OK! :D 

(Without the code 0, not so much though :))
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2019 at 14:08
The polar does not say if it is based on Aloha's genoa, or their cruising chute. If it is the cruising chute then you are OK. However, if you are comparing your code zero  (how big 65M2 perhaps?) to their genoa (28.41 M2)then you might have 30- 40 M2 more sail area. In 10Kts of wind. You should, realistically, cream them with that much extra sail area.

Edited by samuel - 01 December 2019 at 14:10
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
mglonnro View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mglonnro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2019 at 11:57
I had to learn bilinear interpolation to get this done :D

Here's a comparison to the Hanse 388 ALOHA mentioned in my OP. Reaching with our code 0, we're doing really well, going 98-100% of their polar speeds. (Actually surprisingly good, so I still have to recheck the calculations.)

I didn't extract the exact figures from Hanse's speed guide, but a quick glance says that we're about in the same place there as well. 

Encouraging :)

Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2019 at 19:57
Have sent you a PM
Hanse 418 #64 EmBer. Hamble, UK

mglonnro View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mglonnro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2019 at 17:43
Hey all :)

I'm working on my digital log thing and about to add some visual indicators showing how close to "optimal speed" we're sailing.

What should I compare to? Obviously I can compare to what we've been able to achieve ourselves, but what else? 

I've found one Hanse 388 with an ORC certificate, so that's one: https://jieter.github.io/orc-data/site/#KOR/KOR4721

What is your experience? When sailing upwind with a boat actually loaded with stuff, how close to the Hanse speed guide do you get?
 Post Reply Post Reply