myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 385/388
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Folding prop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Folding prop
    Posted: 04 January 2020 at 17:40
Has anyone fitted a folding prop on a D2-40?  If so what size and brand?  There's a lot of generally positive comment on the forum regarding folding props but not sure what advantage volvo may have over flexofold or other brands. 

Thanks
Aguixo View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aguixo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2020 at 08:26
Hi. I'm on the same mission now. I don't know if two blades are enough or I need 3 for my D2 40. The sizes recomended for this engine are: Gori 2b 18x12 and three blades 16.5x13 . Flexiofold two blades l17x12 L and three blades 17x11 3L. There are several very useful popeller test on the web. I am also very interested in other forum members opinion. Thanks
colinc View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2020 at 11:06
As you say, there are lots of “tests” of props on the web. I think the definitive one to read that puts all the others in perspective is by Nigel Calder here :-

All props are a compromise and it depends on what you want to prioritise: fuel economy, top speed, power against wind, low resistance under sail, engine longevity, and likely others.   No prop is good at all of these.    

Also many tests cheat a little as the choice of propeller size is almost more important than propeller type for many of the above factors.   So, for example, a prop sized for maximum top speed at a given revs may use lots of fuel and reduce your engine life.

We have used the Kiwi prop on our last boat and the Flexifold came on our current boat.   Both of these worked pretty well for us.

Edited by colinc - 08 January 2020 at 11:08
Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2020 at 14:43
I'm swapping the standard 2 blade fixed prop for a 3 blade flexofold in the spring. I've got some performance data on the std prop and will repeat the test on the flexofold after it is fitted if anyone is interested in seeing the difference

Hanse 418 #64 EmBer. Hamble, UK

Carlosailfan View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosailfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2020 at 15:46
YES, i would like to see your experience with the 3 blade propeller. I fitted last year a new 3 blade FOF and have some ( maybe ) issues with vibration.

Best regards
/C
Goat View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2020 at 16:54
Thanks all,

Inspiration Marine (UK Hanse agents) have told me Flexofold is the preferred supplier of folding props and Flexofold have told me I need a 17x11-3L prop (although I haven't been able to confirm gearing ratios which is fairly crucial).  For interest cost of this is around Euros 2100 for hub and prop delivered. 
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosailfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2020 at 06:05
This is what FOF recommended for and what is installed on our H385 equipped with Volvo Penta 40 HP, gear ratio i have to check.
Best regards
/C
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosailfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2020 at 06:06
Sorry, now with annex, picture was gone Disapprove
Best regards
/C
Aguixo View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aguixo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2020 at 08:48
 Hi, I just ordered a 3-blade gori for my boat. In my previous boat I had one with good performance.I barely exceed 2500 rpm and the overdrive is decisive. In my navigation area, especially in summer, the sea is in good condition to use it. After seeing several magazine test, I think most propellers are good but there are factors like the use of the boat or the local distributor that are decisive. In February I will tell you my experience with the new popeller.
Big smile
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosailfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2020 at 12:27
Good luck Smile and we are looking forward to read your good experiences.
Best regards
/C
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>