myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 505/508
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

At sea: Bow thruster problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohthetrees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: At sea: Bow thruster problem
    Posted: 16 January 2020 at 08:48
My new to me 505 is 3 days from landfall in Hawaii. Skipper just texted me via inreach that he's having a problem with the bow thruster control. Obviously he hasn't used it in weeks, but just tonight he reported:

Bow thruster control yellow power light beeping 3 beeps 1 pause and not stopping. Has always flashed. Please advise. Tnx

Does anyone have any quick advice? Obviously they don't need a bow thruster, but would love to know what first thoughts are. My instinct is to disconnect from battery and worry about it when on the dock. Is the main switch located physically near the thruster at the bottom of the sail locker? At the moment, weather is too rough for them to even open the hatch. Any first thoughts on trouble shooting?

It's the middle of the night here, and I need to get to bed. I'll do more research myself tomorrow, but thought I'd ask this knowledgable crowd. 
Matt View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2020 at 11:38
I had this happen in November on my 445 after getting a bottom paint job done. It is a fault code about the controller communication with the thruster in my case. The thruster user manual lists the different sound combos but from memory it was the same one. 

Cured it by pulling the fuse for the thruster control and reinserting it (none of the thruster fuses were blown). On the US boats the controller is permently powered up due to local regulations (so my yard said) so the only way to hard reset the controller was to pull the fuse.

My boat is 1400 miles away so I cannot give you the location on the DC board as a starting point for the search but I did find it using the wiring diagrams.
HANSE 445 #231 "ALBION"
colinc View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2020 at 15:52
Three beeps means a problem with the thruster propeller - normally a blockage.  

The block often clears itself but the error light continues until reset. Resetting is by powering on and off.   As stated above, the power is on all the time and so needs a fuse removing.  On my 505 there is a fuse near the thruster battery box in the foreword sail locker.   There is a thick and thin red wire coming off the battery positive post and the thin one has a fuse very close to the post.   Remove fuse for a few seconds and replace.

If the error condition comes back then the blockage of the propeller is real.

If you can't get into the locker then you may be able to find another connection point.  You could pop the surround off the control, unscrew it and unplug the power there.  Or just ignore it until better conditions.  It isn't doing any harm other than making noise.

Manuals are here:-

Edited by colinc - 16 January 2020 at 16:08
ohthetrees View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohthetrees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2020 at 16:15
Great stuff guys. I'll text him, and hope it is something so simple. Is there a blockage sensor? What does it mean that the propeller is blocked, and how could it become blocked when in the retracted position?

Can you help me with what model we have on the 505? Can't find that specific info in the manual or specifications, and I don't have the boat in front of me to inspect. 

Edited by ohthetrees - 16 January 2020 at 16:16
colinc View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2020 at 16:20
I have the TCD1044 which combines fore and aft thrusters.   If you only have the fore then probably you have the TCD1042.  I think the error codes are the same anyhow.

If you don't need the thruster right now it is safe to ignore.  But the thrust will not work until the error is cleared.
colinc View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2020 at 16:48
Although how the error appeared is a good question.  If really nobody deployed the thruster - there were reports on this forum of waves opening the thruster door.   If that is a possibility then clearly you need to check it.  Not sure that would trigger that alarm though.  

Did the control get knocked accidentally?

There are sensors on the deployment motor and propeller drive.  They seem pretty sensitive to overloads and stop everything and signal the error.

Edited by colinc - 16 January 2020 at 16:53
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohthetrees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2020 at 18:42
Do you happen to know the model of the thruster itself? I've passed on info to the skipper about how to reset with the fuse, and now we shall see. Kind of amazing only way to clear an alarm is to climb into a locker and pull a fuse!
colinc View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2020 at 18:55
Thruster is a BTR 185.   Manual for that here:-

They can check if the thruster has become deployed as the battery is right next to it.

Someone may know an easier way to reset it - but that is what I have done before.   Normally it happens when I am at the dock.  Sorry.
Arcadia View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2020 at 23:17
I’m sorry to hear about your ongoing problems out there. The 3 beeps followed by a pause indicated a general problem with the thruster. Not necessarily the propellor.  More likely the deployment mechanism. You can disable the controller from inside the boat if you want. You’ll find the fuse on the big DC board board. Not the wurth DC panel, but the main distribution board.  The wires are all labeled.  I’ve included the table of codes fro these controller.

Leon / ARCADIA
2018 Hanse 588
Sag Harbor, NY
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohthetrees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2020 at 05:31
Thanks again all. The skipper has pulled the fuse, and I'll troubleshoot when I take delivery of the boat next week.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>