myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 371
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Space utilisation ideas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sofia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Space utilisation ideas
    Posted: 11 April 2020 at 22:00
Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips or ideas on how to utilize the space underneath the water tank up front? If I add another 200 liters or so of water capacity underneat the original water tank -would that influence the boats movements in the sea significantly? 

Seems like I am joining the large club of people who struggle to upload pictures with the correct orientation :)

Best regards,
Anders 

Koppiekrou View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koppiekrou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2020 at 22:33
Adding a extra tank will influence the balance. Allready with a full tank you can notice that she will lean forward. But there is a lot of space underneath!

Lets see which brilliant ideas will pop up.

Frank
291 4Ever - 341 Eternal Flame and now a Hanse 371 '05 Karma - Shoal draft - 2 cabin - 40hp - Variprofile
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 23:58
I did not realize there was space under the tank. How did you get in there? 

At the very least one could put a door and make a locker under there.

We carry a couple of soft water carriers, 20 L each for emergencies.  These go in the large starboard cockpit locker at the bottom.
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
silversailor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2020 at 01:51
Suggest you consider adding drawers.  They will be easily accessible and the most useful.  Closed, they will have a nice appearance.
Silversailor
South Haven, MI USA
S/V Legacy
2010 Andrews 28
Sofia View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sofia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 21:27
The previous owner had already added an access hatch where you see the big opening. I came from a 30 footer (Albin Ballad), so utilizing every space is just an old habbit. A big nice drawer is the probably the best solution. Project for post-season 2020 :)

Cheers,
Anders
Frederick View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frederick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 12:59
I added a drawer to store my and especially my wife's shoes. Don't weight much but need a lot of space, so I think it is a perfect place.
Hanse 342#464 Frederick
karina View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2021 at 19:48
I also didn't know that there is significant space. A drawer seems to be a very good idea! We have always not enough space for shoes. Comes on my to do list for next winter.

Cheers, Rainer
live slow - sail fast!
S/Y Karina
Hanse 371 #32
Hamburg / Germany
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2021 at 22:17
I cut out the liner to gain access. My 371, an earlier version hull #092 has an indent making it impractical to put a large door or drawer there, but the space is quite large. i put in the biggest rectangular access panel that would fit.  Details at https://yourboatstuff.com/cutting_perfect_hole/
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
Ranu View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2021 at 03:31

Why don’t you simply fill up a number of say 10ltr containers and place them in the space and see how your boat’s moment performs. If everything is ok then simply remove and install a permanent additional fresh water tank. My thoughts.

Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2021 at 10:19
Just get 2 people to stand on the foredeck and I think you may be surprised how much the bow goes down.   Parkinsons's Law on storage space states that "is that if you have an empty space, you fill it."  I unloaded over 30kg of "stuff" that had accumulated in the space in front of the tank on my yacht and I have never missed any of it. 
Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>