myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 400
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My updates on Hanse 400 2012

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rikard_Swe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 07:05
Originally posted by jeb jeb wrote:

Nice job!
What type of BMS are you using? I saw that you have the BP230 but that will only take undervoltage on the whole pack. I also think you should consider turning your batteries to have the terminals pointing up. I just installed 400 Ah Winston in my h400. I made a slot in the bottom of the original battery compartment and built a new box for my 4 cells.

Im using SMART BMS 123. 
I have heard both good and bad about it, mostly good. Rumors say that Victron is using it in their batteries. 
Ggerrit View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ggerrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 18:30
I found an article about the LiFe04 cells.... It is in dutch but was partly translated....
LiFe04 cells are not that simple as you would think. but if you take care of the installation thery are the top !!
H400 2008 2 cabin
Rikard_Swe View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rikard_Swe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 19:56
I know that it is very diffrent from leadbatteries. 

The bigest concern is the alternator - that it will break die to the lack of inner resistance in the lifepo cells compared to a lead battery. 

As long as the alternator works it will not deliver higher current than 13,9 V I think it is - that is below what hurts the cells. And as I have a low voltage protect that is not a concern either. 

If or when the original alternator breaks a change to a Balmar alternator with their 614 regulator is a very interresting option. At that time is can be interresting to start using a one bank system. 

When I have looked at the companies in Sweden that market and sell complete lifepo system I find my system having more security features than they have so Im pretty confident that this will work.

I have used this setup for 3 years without any problems - from the start i used standard batterycharger when I needed to charge (I checked the battery cykle so it did not overcharge). Later this week the new Victron charger/inverter will arrive - it has a program for Litium batteries.  

iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2020 at 08:19
the link does not work unfortunately. Can you send the pdf to me?
Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rikard_Swe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2020 at 10:49
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rikard_Swe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2020 at 19:29
Today I got all the remaining fittings so the installation is complete as to the electricity. 

This watermaker needs freshwater in so it cal flush itself before and after making water. 
I wanted to control if that connection is on or off. So I threw out the old faucet. 

Replaced it with one that has dishwasher tap. 

Under the sink. 

Fittings for rawwater inlet, share the same inlet as seawater to the sink. 

I did not want to make a new hole in the tank so I made a small hole in the inlet for freshwater. The hose is 8 mm, the hole is 7 mm so pretty tight. I will make som extra to secure it. 

All that is left is the electricity to power it all up. Im waiting for my new inverter. 

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rikard_Swe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2020 at 20:03
Today was the big day - start up the system.. 
First of it started to leak everywhere. After a short period of time it was solved. Then the watermaker did not want to start the pump. After some measuring I found one cable that had slipped (everything is too tight with short cables.). 

Then - Let there be drinking water from seawater! 
It tasted like sh*t, but after I let it produce some 50 liters for about one hour the taste got better. 
I will continue to let it produce and work this weekend again. And change some filters. 

Brine :) 

Edited by Rikard_Swe - 11 June 2020 at 18:32
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rikard_Swe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2020 at 20:58
We did not have any good companionway lock - we did not have any lock at all.. And with everything we keep in the boat, a lock felt pretty unsefull.. I looked at the one that wesailhanse use. Smart constrution, but in my wolrd abit too weak. I wanted something more sturdy..

I put tape around it som it would not scratch. 

Tup view with the parts assembled. It takes about 15 sek to screw it on. 

These are the parts - and the padlock ofcourse.. Simple quick and easy. 

We mostly only lock it when we are not at the boat, when we are at the boat we place it in a drawer. For now it feels easy. I will get back after the summer. 
Ratbasher View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratbasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2020 at 05:58
You’ve obviously done a great deal of hard work and many thanks for sharing it.  I seriously considered Lithium batteries myself for a while but reluctantly considered that they weren’t worth the cost, especially as it seems they can be completely wrecked by a single mis-charge.  

I took advice from a cruising site that I respect who reckoned that:

“My guess is that very few cruisers have the combination of technical understanding and dedication needed to install and maintain a lithium based battery system that will be both safe and reliable. Are you one of those people? That’s for you to decide.“

https://marinehowto.com/lifepo4-batteries-on-boats/

I certainly don’t want to sound disrespectful of your efforts or your abilities; I’m no electrical engineer and of course much of the above is opinion and theory.  Given its obvious that there’s at least a couple of others who’re considering Lithiums as well, it would be very useful if you’d let us know how you get on with them in actual service over a season or two. 

Good luck with everything and thanks again for sharing.

H400 (2008) 'Wight Leopard', Gosport UK
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rikard_Swe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 18:20
Hi, 

No problem, asking questions is not being disrespecful :)

This is my 4:th summer with my batteries. Now I have all the right equipment, prior to this summer I did not have any special equipment. 

I charge them with my standard alternator. And with a modern Victron charger - with Litium settings.

For me it works like a charm. I have friends that have exactly the samt thaughts as you have. I also have a friend who made a simple installation with 360 A winston cells. He made a one bank system. the only thing he has is a Low volt cut of. He is in his 5:th season with this installation - works like a charm. 

If my bank dies for some reason I will write about it here - I have no thaughts of hiding my bad ideas from you - as I dont hide any idea that might be good :) 

People kill lead batteries aswell as lifepo4 batteries - missuse kills even the best products. :) 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>